This unit aims to assist nurses with advanced knowledge and skills to identify and explore opportunities for transformative nursing practice within their individual clinical settings. The unit content examines and critiques clinical governance, and past and present leadership theories and practices in nursing. You are encouraged to creatively envision and develop strategies to stimulate innovation, learning and collaboration in nursing practice as well as explore how clinical research findings are applied in the context of professional and cultural change.
|Unit name||Advanced Professional Nursing Practice|
|College/School||College of Health and Medicine
School of Nursing
|Coordinator||Doctor Paula Foran|
|Delivered By||University of Tasmania|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
- International students
- Domestic students
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (refer to How do I withdraw from a unit? for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2022 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2022 will be available from the 1st October 2021. Note census date cutoff is 11.59pm AEST (AEDT during October to March).
- Analyse the factors that have influenced past and present leadership in nursing.
- Identify and critique the major theories relating to clinical leadership in nursing.
- Illustrate the link between leadership and clinical governance.
- Identify and evaluate techniques and methods to promote practice development and practice change.
- Distinguish and reflect on the contextual factors and personal and group behaviours that influence the effectiveness of collaborative practice.
|Field of Education||Commencing Student Contribution 1,3||Grandfathered Student Contribution 1,3||Approved Pathway Course Student Contribution 2,3||Domestic Full Fee 4|
1 Please refer to more information on student contribution amounts.
2 Please refer to more information on eligibility and Approved Pathway courses.
3 Please refer to more information on eligibility for HECS-HELP.
4 Please refer to more information on eligibility for FEE-HELP.
Please note: international students should refer to What is an indicative Fee? to get an indicative course cost.
Individual Study – This unit is offered fully online via MyLO (My Learning Online). You are expected to devote around 20 hours per week to the study materials, assessment tasks and self-directed learning.
|Assessment||Conference plan and reflection paper (40%)|Clinical Governance (20%)|Leadership interviews and discussion paper (40%)|
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Required readings will be listed in the unit outline prior to the start of classes.
|Links||Booktopia textbook finder|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.