This unit introduces limit states design concepts followed by analytical and design techniques for steel and timber structures and members. It builds on the material covered in KNE113 Engineering Statics and KNE216 Civil Engineering 1.
The unit is an introduction to steel and timber structure design to Australian design Standards. The aim is to prepare students the necessary the knowledge and skills to design, construct and supervise structural engineering projects.
|Unit name||Steel and Timber Design|
|Faculty/School||College of Sciences and Engineering
School of Engineering
|Available as student elective?||No|
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
Special approval is required for enrolment into TNE Program units.
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
1. Understand structural grades and limit states of steel and timber elements and whole structures.
2. Design simple steel and timber elements with simple design actions imposed on them.
3. Design load carrying capacity of small steel or timber structures under given loading conditions according to Australian Standards.
4. Cooperate at a sub-professional level within a small group environment.
You cannot enrol in this unit as well as the following:
Three major assessments: Steel design project (25%), Timber design project (25%) and 3-hr end of semester exam (50%)
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.