This unit of study aims build on the first placement unit to provide you with practical engineering experience in an environment outside the University and improve your awareness of the issues associated with professional practice. In so doing, it will ensure your perceptions of engineering during your studies develop alongside the realities of practice. This final placement unit will provide the opportunity for you to reflect on yours studies to date and how they translate to real world practice.
|Unit name||Work Placement|
|College/School||College of Sciences and Engineering
School of Engineering
|Coordinator||Doctor Brian Salmon|
|Available as student elective?||No|
|Delivered By||University of Tasmania|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
|Hobart||Full Year Period||On-Campus||International||Domestic|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
|Full Year Period||21/2/2022||11/4/2022||20/6/2022||16/10/2022|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2022 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2022 will be available from the 1st October 2021.
- Secure a professional placement opportunity through applying sophisticated application letter writing, resume writing, and interview skills.
- Work effectively as part of a diverse engineering team to produce outputs of value or significance to an engineering project
- Appraise professional engineering design practices through reflecting on the experiences encountered during work placement
|Field of Education||Commencing Student Contribution 1||Grandfathered Student Contribution 1||Approved Pathway Course Student Contribution 2||Domestic Full Fee|
- Available as a Commonwealth Supported Place
- HECS-HELP is available on this unit, depending on your eligibility3
- FEE-HELP is available on this unit, depending on your eligibility4
1 Please refer here more information on student contribution amounts.
2 Information on eligibility and Approved Pathway courses can be found here
3 Please refer here for eligibility for HECS-HELP
4 Please refer here for eligibility for FEE-HELP
Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Required readings will be listed in the unit outline prior to the start of classes.
|Links||Booktopia textbook finder|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.