This unit is an advanced ocean engineering unit that introduces the students to key concepts in coastal engineering. The unit extends and applies the concepts from Applied Wave Mechanics and Applied Offshore Structural Engineering to the context of coastal-zone hydrodynamics, design of coastal-protection structures, and management of coastal environment. In addition, the students are introduced to the elements of port engineering.
|Unit name||Design of Coastal Engineering Structures|
|College/School||College of Sciences and Engineering
Australian Maritime College
|Discipline||National Centre for Maritime Engineering and Hydrodynamics|
|Coordinator||Professor Shuhong Chai|
|Available as student elective?||Yes|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2022 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2022 will be available from the 1st October 2021.
- Explain key concepts in coastal-zone hydrodynamics and assess their influences on design of coastal structures.
- Explain the natural coastal processes, including littoral drift and sedimentation problems.
- Evaluate commercial, technical, environmental and social factors that influence the design of coastal protection structures and port facilities.
- Implement calculation methods and develop a solution strategy to the design of coastal structures and port facilities for a given set of design requirements.
|Field of Education||Commencing Student Contribution 1||Grandfathered Student Contribution 1||Approved Pathway Course Student Contribution 2||Domestic Full Fee|
1 Please refer here more information on student contribution amounts.
2 Information on eligibility and Approved Pathway courses can be found here
If you have any questions in relation to the fees, please contact UConnect or more information is available on StudyAssist.
Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.
3 x 1-hr lectures and 1 x 1-hr tutorial weekly (13 weeks)
|Assessment||Test or quiz (10%)|Test or quiz (25%)|Assignment (65%)|
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Required readings will be listed in the unit outline prior to the start of classes.
|Links||Booktopia textbook finder|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.