This unit provides you with a broad appreciation of the nature and importance of logistics activities and introduces you to some of the concepts, tools and thinking used in logistics by logistics managers. It enables you to understand the key components of an integrated logistics system, such as procurement, inventory management and transport, whilst viewing the system synergistically. Central to an integrated logistics system is the customer: by studying the trade-offs between customer service and costs in this unit, you will be able to contribute positively to the logistics management activities in any company.
|Unit name||Logistics Management|
|College/School||College of Sciences and Engineering
Australian Maritime College
|Discipline||Maritime and Logistics Management|
|Coordinator||Doctor Wenming Shi|
|Available as an elective?|
|Delivered By||Delivered wholly by the provider|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
|Launceston||Semester 1||On-Campus||Off-Campus||International International||Domestic Domestic|
- International students
- Domestic students
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (refer to How do I withdraw from a unit? for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2021 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2021 will be available from the 1st October 2020. Note census date cutoff is 11.59pm AEST (AEDT during October to March).
- discuss the role and significance of logistics and logistics management practices to the economy and the organisation.
- demonstrate the importance to the business of customer service associated with logistics.
- explain the nature and importance of activities involved in supply-side and demand-side logistics.
- illustrate the importance of integrated logistics management in the 21st century.
|Field of Education||Commencing Student Contribution 1,3||Grandfathered Student Contribution 1,3||Approved Pathway Course Student Contribution 2,3||Domestic Full Fee 4|
- Available as a Commonwealth Supported Place
- HECS-HELP is available on this unit, depending on your eligibility3
- FEE-HELP is available on this unit, depending on your eligibility4
1 Please refer to more information on student contribution amounts.
2 Please refer to more information on eligibility and Approved Pathway courses.
3 Please refer to more information on eligibility for HECS-HELP.
4 Please refer to more information on eligibility for FEE-HELP.
Please note: international students should refer to What is an indicative Fee? to get an indicative course cost.
On-campus: 1 x 3 hour class weekly comprising lecture and tutorial components.
Distance: Study guide and readings.
|Assessment||Online Quiz (10%)|Examination (40%)|Assignment: Logistics Activities (20%)|Assignment: Logistics Performance (30%)|Engagement Activity|
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Required readings will be listed in the unit outline prior to the start of classes.
|Links||Booktopia textbook finder|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.