The unit provides training for officers with immediate responsibility for loading, unloading, care in transit, handling of cargo, tank cleaning or other cargo-related operations on oil tankers. It comprises an advanced training program appropriate to their duties on oil tankers for their ability to imbibe a safety culture to perform and monitor all cargo operations, familiarly with properties of oil cargoes, take precautions to prevent hazards, apply health and safety precautions, respond to emergencies, fire safety measures, take precautions to prevent pollution of environment and monitor and control compliance with legislative requirements.
|Unit name||Advanced Petroleum Tanker Cargo Operations|
|College/School||College of Sciences and Engineering
Australian Maritime College
|Discipline||Seafaring and Maritime Operations|
|Coordinator||Mr Neil Pereira|
|Available as an elective?||No|
|Delivered By||University of Tasmania|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
|Launceston||AMC MT Main Block 1||On-Campus||International||Domestic|
|Launceston||AMC MT Main Block 3||On-Campus||International||Domestic|
|Launceston||AMC MT Post Block 4||On-Campus||International||Domestic|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
|AMC MT Main Block 3||12/6/2023||9/11/2023||10/11/2023||12/11/2023|
|AMC MT Post Block 4||13/11/2023||20/12/2023||23/12/2023||24/12/2023|
|AMC MT Main Block 1||30/1/2023||8/6/2023||9/6/2023||11/6/2023|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (refer to How do I withdraw from a unit? for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2023 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2023 will be available from the 1st October 2022. Note census date cutoff is 11.59pm AEST (AEDT during October to March).
- Advance Understanding with the equipment, instrumentation and controls used for cargo handling on an oil tanker.
- Advance Understanding with the equipment, instrumentation and controls always used for cargo handling on an oil tanker and Greater awareness of the need of proper planning, use of checklists for various oil cargo handling operations.
- An enhanced awareness to apply proper and safe procedures always when carrying out the various operations on board a oil tanker and an improvement in the ability to promote safety and protect the marine environment.
- An improvement in the ability to promote safety and protect the marine environment
- Evaluate safe working practices in accordance meeting legislative requirements, codes of practice, permits to work and environmental concerns (including LSA, FFE and machinery).
|Field of Education||Commencing Student Contribution 1,3||Grandfathered Student Contribution 1,3||Approved Pathway Course Student Contribution 2,3||Domestic Full Fee 4|
1 Please refer to more information on student contribution amounts.
2 Please refer to more information on eligibility and Approved Pathway courses.
3 Please refer to more information on eligibility for HECS-HELP.
4 Please refer to more information on eligibility for FEE-HELP.
Please note: international students should refer to What is an indicative Fee? to get an indicative course cost.
PrerequisitesJVD210 - Advanced Fire Fighting AND JVD187 - Tanker Familiarisation (Oil and Chemical) AND JVD226 - Medical First Aid at Sea
Delivered as a short course over 4 days.
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Required readings will be listed in the unit outline prior to the start of classes.
|Links||Booktopia textbook finder|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.