Cloud computing forms the backbone of many internet-based applications nowadays. These platforms use advanced operating systems and web service technologies to create and share information. Data stored and exchanged in this cloud-based application follow specific formats. The data exchange can be improved with respect to consumer demands by implementing intelligent algorithms at the server-side programs.
This unit introduces you to principles and practices of developing secure and intelligent cloud-based web applications. It will cover topics and technologies related to Cloud Computing such as virtual machines, Linux, Apache server and web services with scripting languages such as PHP or NodeJS. Students will use a cloud platform to create well-architected deployments of secure and intelligent distributed applications.
|Unit name||Intelligent and Secure Web Development|
|College/School||College of Sciences and Engineering
School of Information and Communication Technology
|Discipline||Information & Communication Technology|
|Coordinator||Doctor Ananda Maiti|
|Available as student elective?||Yes|
|Delivered By||University of Tasmania|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2022 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2022 will be available from the 1st October 2021.
- Analyse security and performance issues in traditional and cloud-based web application
- Develop a configuration plan for cloud resources to support scalable web services
- Apply appropriate countermeasures and prevention techniques to secure a web application
- Design Intelligent Cloud based Web application to support modern business requirements
|Field of Education||Commencing Student Contribution 1||Grandfathered Student Contribution 1||Approved Pathway Course Student Contribution 2||Domestic Full Fee|
- Available as a Commonwealth Supported Place
- HECS-HELP is available on this unit, depending on your eligibility3
- FEE-HELP is available on this unit, depending on your eligibility4
1 Please refer here more information on student contribution amounts.
2 Information on eligibility and Approved Pathway courses can be found here
3 Please refer here for eligibility for HECS-HELP
4 Please refer here for eligibility for FEE-HELP
Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.
Lectures: 2 hrs/wk
|Assessment||Examination (50%)|Assessment Task 1 (15%)|Assessment Task 2 (25%)|Lab Tutorials (10%)|
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Required readings will be listed in the unit outline prior to the start of classes.
|Links||Booktopia textbook finder|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.