This unit runs Monday 24/1/22 to Friday 25/2/22 and Monday 11/7/22 to Friday 12/8/22
This unit is the mandatory first unit of the course, it is the foundational unit by setting up the student up for the remainder of the units in the course. It introduces the student to strategic management and shows the student how each unit fits into the course structure, and therefore, the final unit artifact, the Strategic Plan. The output of this unit is as follows:
1. Introduction to the business operation, Mission and Vision Statement, and current high-level Risk profile which includes a risk heat map and a risk register with residual risk analysis.
2. A situational analysis of the operation within its environment using contemporary tools viz SWOT and PESTEL
|Unit name||Dairy Business Management|
|College/School||College of Sciences and Engineering
Tasmanian Institute of Agriculture
|Discipline||Agriculture and Food Systems|
|Coordinator||Doctor Alexander Malherbe|
|Delivered By||University of Tasmania|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
|Online||Half Year Period 1||Off-Campus||International||Domestic|
|Online||Half Year Period 2||Off-Campus||International||Domestic|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
|Half Year Period 1||23/1/2023||30/1/2023||8/2/2023||24/2/2023|
|Half Year Period 2||10/7/2023||17/7/2023||26/7/2023||11/8/2023|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (refer to How do I withdraw from a unit? for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2023 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2023 will be available from the 1st October 2022. Note census date cutoff is 11.59pm AEST (AEDT during October to March).
- Apply business analytical tools to establish a current business profile and position in the dairy industry.
- Assess a dairy business proposition using situational analysis tools
- Select a business strategy approach through comparing and contrasting a range of strategy formats, suitable to a dairy business
|Field of Education||Commencing Student Contribution 1||Grandfathered Student Contribution 1||Approved Pathway Course Student Contribution 2||Domestic Full Fee|
1 Please refer to more information on student contribution amounts.
2 Please refer to more information on eligibility and Approved Pathway courses.
3 Please refer to more information on eligibility for HECS-HELP.
4 Please refer to more information on eligibility for FEE-HELP.
Please note: international students should refer to What is an indicative Fee? to get an indicative course cost.
|Assessment||Strategic Management (15%)|Business Situation Analysis - Part 1 (35%)|Business Situation Analysis - Part 2 (50%)|
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Required readings will be listed in the unit outline prior to the start of classes.
|Links||Booktopia textbook finder|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.