This unit aims to provide students with an understanding of animal behaviour within an evolutionary and ecological framework. There will be an emphasis on fundamental principles (e.g., the ways in which animals interact with their own and other species and the environment, mechanisms to maximise reproductive success, determinants of fitness of an individual). In lectures, these principles will be highlighted by presentation of the history and theory of behavioural ecology, recent examples and advances (primary literature and research within the School), and detailed case studies. The practical classes are designed to initially develop understanding of relevant research methodology (the process of science, research design, data analysis and synthesis) via group research projects. The group projects will emphasise experimental design and data collection in real situations (not always as easy as it may seem) framed within a theoretical framework. Scientific presentation skills are important to any budding scientist (or for that matter in most job situations); these skills will be developed through presentation of the research project to peers as a conference talk, and in a written report in the form of scientific journal article (in the format of the journal Behavioral Ecology). The forum assessment will develop your ability to access primary literature and to critique and apply this knowledge to address novel questions in Behavioural and Evolutionary Ecology.
|Unit name||Behavioural and Evolutionary Ecology|
|Faculty/School||College of Sciences and Engineering
School of Natural Sciences
Erik Wapstra, Chris Burridge, Elissa Cameron, Shane Richards
|Available as student elective?||No|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
Special approval is required for enrolment into TNE Program units.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2019 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2019 will be available from the 1st October 2018.
|Band||CSP Student Contribution||Full Fee Paying (domestic)||Field of Education|
|2||2019: $1,169.00||2019: $2,200.00||010905|
Fees for next year will be published in October. The fees above only apply for the year shown.
Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.
You cannot enrol in this unit as well as the following:
2 hours of lectures per week, and 3 hours of practicals per week.
Research project (30% total, 2 components including presentation and research report), Forum essay, 1500 words (20%), Exam (50%) (2-hours).
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Booktopia textbook links
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.