Held on the 11th Mar 2023 to
13th Mar 2023
at 6:30am to
, North-West Tasmania
Scotch Oakburn College Valley Campus, Esk Highway, Fingal TAS, AustraliaSummary:
Join us on a three day camp trip in the Tassie wilderness
Exploring remote and wild places can be scary but what if we told you that there's a crash course to help you do it safely (and relatively cheaply)?
Join us on our final and biggest Unique Tassie Experience of the year. Only 16 spots are on offer! All gear provided.
This survival camping 101 will give you the knowledge to put together your own Tassie adventures, whilst equipping yourself with the necessary items that will keep you safe and comfortable when in the Tasmanian bush. You'll be a seasoned camper in no time!
-2 nights/3 days
-All meals PROVIDED. (except Day 1 lunch)
-Tents, backpacks, stoves and all other gear for exercises are PROVIDED.
The camp will lay the foundations of skills that you can hone and adapt to any outdoor environment and open a whole world of future adventures no matter where you go. It will make you aware of your own limitations, but also give you the knowledge to know where to find information when you need it.
The program will take place in the Fingal Valley using both the Scotch Oakburn Valley Outdoor Campus and surrounding areas of both beautiful and rugged rivers, gorges and elevated mountain ridges of St. Pauls Dome. Your accommodation will be basic, no cabins and soft mattresses, but an opportunity to create your own shelter, be it a modern lightweight tent or a night under the stars in a bivouac that you constructed using some of the skills that you will learn.
Toilets and showers will be available on night one but night two will challenge you to know how to live comfortably in a remote environment away from the modern conveniences including mobile phones.
If you decide to sign up for this program it is suggested that you find a companion that you know you can work with as we will operated in units of two, sharing a tent or bivouac and preparing food together. Once signed up we will provide you with a list of essential requirements, but tents, back packs and cooking stoves will be provided by us and allocated on the first day.
What you'll learn in this camping 101:
- Intro to safe camping practice
- Drinking water
- Building an effective emergency bivouac (shelter)
- Intro to Map Reading and Navigation
- Low visibility navigation (night navigation exercise)
- Lighting a fire in an emergency (how to)
- Lashings & practical knots
- Security on steep ground (using a rope) (not rock-climbing)
- Crossing rivers safely (or when not to attempt).
- Cooking in the bush (safe and effective use of stoves)
- Personal hygiene and protecting the environment
- Safety in the bush & safety equipment, and other various outdoor skills!
How does it work?
It's only $120 for two nights/three day! This has been heavily subsidised by TUSA, and on top of this, we have partnered with tourism operators for negotiated rates. The course would usually cost more than $500 per person.
Plus, all meals are provided, except lunch on Saturday.
Departs Sat 11th, returns Mon 13th.
- Inveresk apartments pick up at 0700am*
- Newnham (Student Centre) pick up at 0725 am*
- Return to Launceston by 1900 on Monday 13th.
- Sandy Bay pick up at 0615am*
- Return to Sandy Bay at 1800 on Monday 13th