Skip to content

HELP Loans

HECS-HELP* is a loan program to help eligible Commonwealth supported students to pay their student contribution amounts.

FEE-HELP is a loan scheme that assists eligible fee paying students pay all or part of their tuition fees. It cannot be used for additional study costs such as accommodation or text books. The total amount of FEE-HELP a person can use is known as the 'FEE-HELP limit'.

Once a person begins using FEE-HELP, the amount of FEE-HELP they have left to use is known as their 'FEE-HELP balance'.

The Australian Government has introduced a range of budget reforms, which are likely to affect you. Please visit the Department of Education - Students website for more information.

SA-HELP help is a loan scheme that assists eligible students to pay for all or part of their student services and amenities fee. The student services and amenities fee is a fee that universities and other approved higher education providers can charge for student services and amenities of a non-academic nature, such as sporting and recreational activities, employment and career advice, child care, financial advice and food services. Students can choose to defer all or part of their fee for the relevant year.

If you use SA-HELP, the amount will be added to your accumulated HELP debt. You can take out a SA-HELP loan even if you do not wish to take out any other HELP loan.

OS-HELP loans-and-study-overseas is a loan available to eligible undergraduate students enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place who want to undertake some of their study overseas. OS-HELP can be used for a range of expenses such as airfares, accommodation, and other travel or study expenses. Students may receive one loan per six-month study period and can access a total of two OS-HELP loans over their lifetime.

See UTAS OS-HELP Guidelines for more information.