The Redundancy HECS Scholarship is available to commencing students who have been made redundant from permanent or long-term casual employment within the last six months.
This offer is extended as support for those seeking new or additional qualifications to better their employment opportunities.
This HECS Scholarship covers the equivalent of one year of full time study (e.g. 8 X 12.5 credit point units or 4 X 25 credit point units - a total unit value of 100 credit points) whether studied full-time or part-time.
Am I eligible for a Redundancy Support HECS Scholarship?
This opportunity is extended to commencing University of Tasmania students who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- have been made redundant from either permanent or long-term casual employment within the six months prior to commencing study at the University of Tasmania:
- are able to provide documentary evidence of the redundancy;
- are Australia citizens OR permanent residency visa holders residing in Australia during their studies; and
- are eligible for a Commonwealth supported place under the HECS-HELP system (this applies to most people – see studyassist.gov.au for eligibility guidelines) and fulfil Commonwealth requirements
- are not currently receiving any other University of Tasmania scholarships
Students who enter a Bachelor degree through pathway programs including Bachelor of General Studies (Pathway) programs, the University Preparation Program or the Bridging programs, are able to hold the redundancy support HECS scholarship until they commence unit/s with HECS liability, provided there is no break longer than six months from the completion of the pathway programs.
What can I study?
The Redundancy Support HECS Scholarship applies to Commonwealth supported programs at the University of Tasmania.
Students can choose from a range of more than 100 undergraduate degrees, or postgraduate coursework degrees in many different disciplines. Further information on courses offered by the University of Tasmania can be found in the Course & Unit Handbook.
Normal University of Tasmania admission requirements apply.
For those who are not qualified for Bachelor degree entry, places will be available in the Bachelor of General Studies (Pathway) programs, the University Preparation Program and Bridging programs. See Pathway Programs.
- The scholarship covers study in Commonwealth supported programs only and is not applicable for full fee paying courses.
- Failure to complete the unit/s to which the HECS Scholarship has been applied may result in termination of the scholarship for future semesters.
- Students in receipt of the Redundancy HECS Scholarship must maintain continuous enrolment for the duration of the Scholarship (e.g. Semester 1 followed by Semester 2 in the same year, or Semester 2 in one year followed by Semester 1 in the following year). Exceptions may be granted over a period of intermission if a formal Leave of Absence is approved. Scholarships can not be deferred.
- Students must meet the general eligibility criteria applicable to all HECS scholarships.
How to apply
- Submit your online application to study at the University of Tasmania
- Once you have received an offer, follow the instructions provided to accept your place
- Complete your enrolment in eStudent (click 'Study', then 'Manage Study Plan' on the left menu)
- Once your enrolment is complete, apply for the Alumni HECS Scholarship application online (in eStudent click 'Fees', then 'Apply for a HECS scholarship' in the Quick Links menu)
- You will be notified of the outcome of your application via your UTAS email address.
Applicants who have been away from study for a number of years should plan to attend 'Unistart', an introduction to study at the University of Tasmania. This four-day course takes place just prior to the start of each semester, and is also available online.
Need more information?
For enquiries regarding the HECS scholarship, contact the Fees Unit via U.Connect@utas.edu.au