Skip to content

Getting Started

To be eligible to apply as a Study Abroad or Exchange student you are required to:

  • Have completed a full year of University study before applying (Please do not apply if you have only completed 1 semester)
  • Be a minimum of 18 years of age
  • If English is not your first language you will be required to submit evidence of your ability to meet the English Language requirements
  • Have an average GPA 2.5 on a scale of 4.0 or equivalent
  • Be nominated by your home institution (for exchange students)

Undergraduate Level

Undergraduate units require one of the following English language results:

  • IELTS (Academic) - 6.0 (no individual band less than 5.5)
  • TOEFL (iBT) 72 (no skill below: Reading 10; Listening 9; Speaking 16; Writing 19)
  • PTE Academic 50 with no score lower than 42
  • UTASAccess-English - Overall 60% (no individual score less than 55%)
  • Cambridge CAE (Certificate of Advanced English) - B Grade
  • Cambridge CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English) - C Grade
  • Cambridge BEC (Business English Certificate) Higher - C Grade

For students applying from one of the following countries alternative means of assessment might be available: Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, The Netherlands, Norway and Sweden. Please contact the Student Mobility Office for further details.

Undergraduate Unit English Exceptions

Education; IELTS test score of 7.5 (no individual band for listening and speaking less than 8.0; and writing and reading no less than 7.0).

Exchange students applying for Education Programme Professional Experience units ESA198 and ESA199 must complete a Police Check before they arrive in Australia.

Nursing: IELTS test score of 6.5 with no individual band less than 6.5, a TOEFL(iBT) score of 88 (no skill below: Reading 21; Listening 21; Speaking 21; Writing 25).

Units from the School of Nursing are only available to students from institutions that have a formal agreement with the School of Nursing such as Malmo University and the Danish School of Nursing.

Law: IELTS test score of 6.5 with no individual band less than 6.0, a TOEFL(iBT) score of 88 (no skill below: Reading 16; Listening 16; Speaking 18; Writing 22).

Postgraduate Level

Most of our units within postgraduate programs have the following English language requirements:

  • IELTS (Academic) - 6.0 (no individual band less than 6.0)
  • TOEFL (iBT) 72 (no skill below: Reading 16; Listening 16; Speaking 18; Writing 22)
  • PTE Academic 50 with no score lower than 50
  • UTASAccess-English 7 - 60% (no individual score less than 60%)
  • Cambridge CAE (Certificate of Advanced English) - B Grade
  • Cambridge CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English) - C Grade
  • Cambridge BEC (Business English Certificate) Higher - C Grade
Postgraduate Unit English Exceptions

Units within the areas of Environmental Studies, Geography, Remote Sensing & GIS, Environmental Management, Environmental Planning will require an IELTS 6.5 (no individual band less than 6.0); TOEFL (iBT) 88 (no skill below: Reading 16; Listening 16; Speaking 18; Writing 22).

Units within the areas of Education and Social Work will require an IELTS 7.0 (no individual band less than 6.5);  TOEFL (iBT) 100 (no skill below: Reading 21; Listening 21; Speaking 21; Writing 25); PTE Academic 65 with no score lower than 58.

Further information can be found on the English Requirements website.

Study Abroad Fees 2019*

AUD$8,900 for 4 undergraduate x 12.5% units – (maximum study load per semester)

AUD$6,675 for 3 x 12.5% units – (minimum study load per semester)

Exchange students pay tuition fees at their home institution and do not pay at the University of Tasmania.

* Tuition fees  are indicative only, reviewed annually and are subject to change. The fees you pay in future years will be those approved for the corresponding academic year. You are strongly encouraged to regularly review the latest available tuition fee information at

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

Overseas Student Health Cover is compulsory for all exchange and study abroad students and can only be provided by an Australian approved provider. The University organises OSHC for the full duration of your student visa as required by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

The 2019 OSHC Fees are as follows;

One semester: AUD$400

Two semesters: AUD$708

Student Visa

You must obtain your visa before arriving in Australia, so please make sure you allow enough time for visa processing when deciding on your course start date. If you have not received your visa in time, you may need to contact us to defer your course to a later start date.

Some students may be able to use a different kind of visa. For more information on visas, including how to apply and what documents you need to support your application, please visit the Department of Home Affairs website or contact your local Australian Embassy or High Commission.

Student Visa cost (subclass 500) starts from AUD$575 (2018).

You can apply for your student visa as soon as you receive your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for a full-time, CRICOS-registered course of study.

Please note that the University of Tasmania is not able to help with your visa application and has no influence on the application process.

Visa application checklists

The Department of Home Affairs provides a checklist to help you complete the visa application process.

Cost of Living in Tasmania

The following is a rough guide to cost of living in Tasmania (in Australian dollars). Of course, these will vary depending on your preferred standard of living and where you choose to live.


  • Hostels and Guesthouses: $90 to $150 per week
  • Shared Rental: $85 to $215 per week
  • Single Rental: $150 to $300 per week
  • On campus: $146 to $213 per week
  • Off-campus (university managed): $146 to $260 per week
  • University Homestay: $270 per week

Living expenses

  • Groceries and eating out: $80 to $200 per week
  • Utilities: $12 to $20 per week
  • Phone and Internet: $20 to $55 per week
  • Public transport: $15 to $30 per week
  • Car (after purchase): $150 to $260 per week
  • Entertainment, sport, personal care: $60 to $150 per week
  • Study expenses (books, photocopying, stationery, etc.): $400 per Semester

Source: University of Tasmania Accommodation Services;; Tasmanian service providers; September, 2017.

The Australian Government provides information on living costs in Australia for students and we strongly recommend you consult their website for further and most up to Australia-wide details.

Funding for mobility scholarships in 2019 is yet to be confirmed. The Student Mobility Office can provide further information.

How do I choose units?

You are free to choose units from any School, Faculty or College with the exception of Pharmacy, Medicine and Nursing.

When choosing units, make sure that they are available in the semester you will be studying in, are offered on the same campus (i.e. Hobart or Launceston) and at a level of study similar to your own.

In Australia a typical undergraduate degree takes 3 years of full time study to complete. Level 100 units are first year, 200 second year and 300 third year. Entry into units 400 and above are assessed on a case –by- case basis based on your previous studies/experience.

We recommend that you choose 6 to 8 units for assessment so that if upon arrival you have a timetable clash or a particular unit is not available then you can change between your additional pre-approved units.

Additional guidance on course selection is available from the Student Mobility office. Please contact us for a Course Selection guide if you have not already received one.

Individual courses and units can be searched within areas at the following link: UTAS Courses

The choice of units cannot always be guaranteed as some units may be cancelled, have prerequisites or have a limited student quota. If entry into your chosen units is not granted, the Faculty where possible will try to offer an alternative but similar unit.

Can I study part-time?

No! It is a university and immigration policy that students who are on a student visa must be enrolled full-time which is deemed to be 3 or 4 x 12.5% units or equivalent weighting. Maximum enrolment is 4 units. If you wish to study only 3 units per semester you must seek permission from your home institution first.

What are the popular / specialty programmes?

Aboriginal Studies, Animal and Marine Science, Maritime and Logistics Management, Natural Environment and Wilderness Management, Antarctic studies, Fine Arts, Geology, Law and Business.

Tasmania boasts 19 National Parks as well as World Heritage areas and Marine reserves. Many units offer students field trips to inform and enhance their studies.

For more information about key features and facilities visit Faculties & Institutes.

Can I work while I'm on exchange?

All students studying on a student visa are given permission to work a maximum of forty hours per fortnight during formal teaching periods and full-time during semester breaks.

UTAS has a number of festivals throughout the Summer and Winter as well as the opportunity for students to pick up work fruit picking or working in one of the many pubs and cafes.

Jobs are advertised weekly in the Saturday addition of the Mercury Newspaper (Hobart) and Examiner (Launceston) as well as online through various job search engines including Seek.

What's the weather like in Tasmania?

SUMMER 1 December to 28 February Very comfortable average temperature of 23˚ Celsius (70˚ Fahrenheit)
AUTUMN 1 March to 31 May Mild temperatures and fiery colours of extraordinary beauty around the island
WINTER 1 June to 31 August Clear skies and average maximum day time temperature of 12˚ Celsius (52˚ Fahrenheit) (it can drop to 3˚ Celsius overnight)
SPRING 1 September 30 November Mild Temperatures with blossoming fields and gardens

Find out more about Life in Tasmania and visit the Discover Tasmania website

What kind of accommodation is available?

Find out more about Life on Campus and accommodation options.

Please note that it is highly recommended that you submit applications for on campus accommodation at the same time as you submit your exchange or study abroad application. Although every effort is used in order to place study abroad and exchange students in on campus accommodation it is not guaranteed and fills very quickly.

I've started studying but I don't like the units I'm enrolled in - can I change my subjects?

You are able to change the units you are undertaking as long as you do this before the census date for the semester you are enrolled in. Faculty will usually allow entry into new units during the first two weeks of teaching – enrolment after 2 weeks could put you at disadvantage as you would have potentially missed important unit content.

After census date, withdrawing from a unit will result in a Fail on your Academic Transcript for that unit and you will still incur fees (if applicable).

If you do wish to change units prior to census date, it is your responsibility to talk to your home university regarding the change and potential credit.

Study Abroad and Exchange students are unable to change units online and you will need to complete a Variation of Enrolment form with can be downloaded here and return it to the GLOW Lounge, or email it to

How many units should I do in a semester?

The standard load for a full-time enrolment is 4 x 12.5% units per semester but the conditions of a Student Visa allow you to enrol in a reduced load of 3 x 12.5% units (minimum) if you would prefer.

I've decided I want to stay another semester. Am I allowed to?

If you have completed one semester of study at UTAS and have decided you would like to extend your time to enrol in another semester, please contact Student Mobility. If you have already completed two semesters you are unfortunately unable to extend your time at UTAS as a Study Abroad or Exchange student however you are free to apply for admission to a course as an International Student.