Westpac Asia Exchange Scholarship
The Asian Exchange Scholarship is an exciting initiative of Westpac that aims to assist future generations of Australian leaders in building stronger ties within Asia.
Established in 2017 The Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship, valued at $12,250 each, offers 35 Australian students from across 14 universities the opportunity to undertake an approved exchange program in Asia for one to two semesters. Current exchange locations include mainland China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan (pending no travel restrictions).
The scholarship also includes a week-long Leadership Development Program which will see all 35 scholars come together to participate in a combination of site visits, panel discussions, networking events and simulations, Scholars will gain the knowledge and skills they need to live and work in the region and connections to help them establish a support network. The 2022 Leadership Development Program is currently planned for Singapore.
COVID update: Due to the impacts of COVID-19, exchange destinations may change over time, pending government and university advice. If there are changes, the website, applicants and successful scholars will be updated. Please note successful recipients in 2022 will need to commence their exchange in the second semester next year.
* An Australian citizen or permanent resident
* Studying full time (minimum 3 x 12.5 units) at UTAS (all fields of study compatible with an international exchange are eligible to apply)
* Enrolled in second year or beyond when commencing the exchange
* Have a minimum of a credit average (GPA of 5 out of 7)
* Intending to complete a university approved exchange program for one to two semesters in mainland China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, South Korea or Taiwan, pending no travel restrictions
* Intending to commence in July/August 2022 for the start of semester at your host university in Asia, pending no travel restrictions.
* not hold or intend to hold another merit-based scholarship for the purpose of tertiary study in Asia
To retain this scholarship:
* Attend the compulsory Westpac Scholars Summit April 2022 (dates to be confirmed)
* Participate in an approved exchange program in Semester 2, 2022
*Undergraduates with a genuine desire to create positive change by contributing to the future of Australia’s relationship in Asia
*Ambitious students who want to learn more about Asian culture, language, traditions and business through a combination of academic study and cultural immersion
*Those willing to be active members of the Westpac 100 Scholars Network
*Ideally Aussies from all walks of life and diverse backgrounds – this is a priority in 2022
The week-long residential in Asia brings all the Scholars together before students head off on their exchange programs. Through a combination of site visits, panel discussions, networking events and simulations, Scholars will gain the knowledge and skills they need to live and work in the region and connections to help them establish a support network. Past activities have included a race around Shanghai, design thinking workshop, field trip to experience “The new retail” through Alibaba’s Hema and concept Starbucks store, and a simulation to tackle a Foreign Affairs and Trade brief. The following are key outcomes:
1.an understanding of how macro-level geopolitics influence business and culture in Asia
2.increased confidence as Asia-capable leaders through workshops in cross-cultural competence and innovation, and through leadership development opportunities as they help lead discussions throughout the week
3.Scholars are connected to global thought leaders and strong leadership role models indifferent domains (academic, industry, not-for-profit and government)
4.an established and connected cohort of Asian Exchange Scholars, facilitating collaboration, networking and peer-to-peer learning.
The Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship includes:
- $12,250 to cover travel costs, accommodation, cultural immersion activities and other overseas expenses for up to two-semesters. Plus, participation in the Leadership Development Program
- a one-week residential experience in Asia to enhance cultural-competency, establish support networks and connect with Australia-Asia thought leaders
- access to opportunities beyond the classroom to experience the local culture, build life-long connections and develop scholars as Asia-capable leaders
- lifelong membership to the W100, a diverse and growing network of inspiring Aussies ready to collaborate, challenge and offer support. The Asian Exchange Scholarship is one of five programs offered by Westpac Scholars Trust
- attendance at the Westpac Scholars Summit in Sydney (travel restrictions dependent).
Westpac Asian Exchange Scholars will demonstrate the following:
* A clear understanding of Asia’s role in Australia’s future prosperity (max of 200 words)
* A desire to learn about a specific Asian culture, language, tradition or business through a combination of academic study and cultural immersion (max of 200 words)
* The potential and ambition to contribute to strengthening Australia-Asia in their future endeavours (max of 200 words)
* A genuine desire to be an active member of the Westpac 100 Scholars Network. (max of 200 words)
For more information, including Scholarship Guidelines, please visit Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship program
Applications open 13th September 2021
October 4th (TBC) Workshop on addressing selection criteria
Applications close 29th November 2021
2022 - Pending no travel restrictions
Westpac Scholars Summit 2022: 7-8 April
Leadership Development Program (Singapore): July 2022
- All terms and conditions as listed by the Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship Program.
- At the time of payment, you must be enrolled in the relevant exchange placeholder subjects for your University of Tasmania exchange program.
- If your overseas study program is postponed or cancelled by any party, you must contact Student Mobility immediately. If you have already received the grant, you may be required to return the payment.
- You give permission for the University to provide your name and course details to the donor of the Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship Program. You may also be required to submit a brief report on the benefits of the scholarship if requested.
Westpac Asia Exchange Scholarship - Info Session
Access the recording here
Applicants apply directly through the Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship program website