Skip to content

Key information

  1. Carefully read your Eligibility Letter, especially how your name is listed.
  2. Advise U Connect immediately if you need to change your name or any other details.
  3. If you are attending your graduation ceremony, please register here.
  4. If you are not attending your graduation ceremony, please ensure your  address details are correct in eStudent.
  5. Carefully read through all of the information on the Graduation website particularly information about your ceremony.
  6. Ensure you know all about your ceremony, i.e. date, time, location, ceremony proceedings, guest tickets etc.
  7. Collect your academic dress at the times and locations specified when you registered.
  8. Print your tickets or have them ready on your device.
  9. Ensure your guests know all they need to know, i.e. time, date, location, parking etc.
  10. If you have any further questions please visit Ask Us.
  • Check your personal details on your Graduation Eligibility letter and in eStudent
  • If you wish to make changes to your name details, visit the changing your name details page for further instructions.
  • Remember to carefully check your name. It must be your legal name as your certificate is a legal document. See Name Changes & Protocol
  • Please check your preferred mailing address in eStudent. This is very important to ensure you receive your graduation documents as soon as possible.
  • Name changes have to be made no later than 21 days before your ceremony.
  • Certificates are printed using your full legal name which is presumed to be the one in which you are enrolled. This is the name which is shown on your Graduation Eligibility letter.
  • Documentary evidence of a change, such as a birth certificate, extract of birth registration, passport, marriage certificate, citizenship papers, divorce decree, or registered deed poll, is required for a name change to be made.
  • If you are changing your surname(s) or given name(s) you must provide documentary evidence which shows the link between your previous and new name. For example a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or registered deed poll.
  • Contractions (e.g. Greg, Ben, Geoff, Liz, Di etc.) and initials (e.g. John F. Smith, or Laura W. Brown) are not acceptable unless documentary evidence of the legality of the name is provided.
  • It is essential that you have your legal name on your certificate and not a name by which you are commonly known. For example, if you have a middle name which is not shown on University files, but that middle name is on your birth certificate or passport, then you must have that name on your certificate as well. With security issues being tightened worldwide, many institutions will not accept that 'John Smith' is the same person as 'John Charles Smith' even with the same date of birth.
  • If you are an overseas student, particularly from an Asian country, you may find that the University has ordered your names incorrectly. Please advise Student Services how you would like your names to be ordered. A copy of your national ID card or passport is required as proof if you wish to add or delete names not shown on the letter sent to you. Unless you advise us, your family name (surname) will always be put last.
  • If you are attending your graduation ceremony, your name will be read out to the audience by the Dean when you are presented to the Chancellor. If you have a name which has a particular pronunciation, or it is not obvious from the spelling what the correct pronunciation is, please supply us with a 'plain English' phonetic version. For example, if your surname is Szajnaq, it would be helpful to know that it is pronounced Shay-nark.
  • Please note, after you have graduated, your name cannot be changed, except in cases of a change in gender. If you have changed your gender and would like your documents updated, please refer to How do I update or change my gender details? for more information.

Instructions on changing your name details

  • If you are not going to attend your ceremony, you don't need to register and will graduate in absentia.
  • If you graduate in absentia arrangements will be made for you to receive your certificate by Registered Post (within Australia) or EMS Courier (overseas).
  • Please ensure your address details are correct if you are not attending a graduation ceremony.

Certificates are usually posted within 4-6 weeks of the ceremony to your preferred address. Your academic transcript, and a copy of the program will be enclosed with your certificate.

  • Graduating in absentia means you can request to participate in a later ceremony as a 'walk-through' candidate.
  • This means that your degree will be conferred in your absence ('in absentia') at your normal ceremony or through a University Council meeting, but you can participate in a later ceremony in exactly the same manner as other candidates, except that your name will appear in the graduation program of the earlier ceremony, and you will be presented with a 'blank' certificate (this is because your certificate will already have been sent to you after the earlier ceremony).
  • This allows you to have your degree conferred at the appropriate time, while still having the opportunity to participate in a ceremony at a time convenient to you.
  • Students may not participate as a walk-through unless they have already graduated in-absentia.
  • Once you are eligible to graduate after completing your course it is not possible to defer your graduation.
  • If you wish to request a walk-through, please email
  • All graduands are automatically scheduled to have their degrees conferred or diplomas awarded at the next round of graduation ceremonies. In certain circumstances graduands may need to receive their awards earlier than the next round of ceremonies.
  • If you are eligible to graduate and need to have your award conferred early, you may have it conferred by the Chancellor at the next available meeting of the University Council.
  • You do not attend the council meeting but are conferred in absentia.
  • Documents are posted to your preferred address within 4 weeks of the scheduled council meeting.
  • If you graduate via council you can participate in a formal graduation ceremony as a walk-through candidate.
  • For more information please contact the Graduation Office.
  • Once you have graduated you will receive your academic documents. You will receive both a hard copy and secure digital copy via the My eQuals portal.
  • Your testamur is presented to you at your graduation ceremony if you attend. You cannot receive your testamur before your graduation ceremony.
  • If you do not attend (i.e. you graduate in absentia), your testamur and transcript will be sent by Registered Post 4-5 weeks after your graduation ceremony date.
  • The testamur is a legal document, issued under the direction of the Chancellor and the Vice-Chancellor, and imprinted with the University Seal.
  • If you lose your testamur, or it is damaged significantly, a replacement can only be made after you have made a statutory declaration outlining the circumstances of the loss or damage, and, if accepted, pay a fee of $100 (hard copy) or $150 (hard copy and digital version). Apply for a replacement certificate.
  • The name on your testamur is your Formal Name (your First Name, Other Given Name/s and Family Name). If you require changes (e.g. spelling mistakes, or a change to the order in which we have shown your names), please advise U Connect immediately. See Name Changes & Protocol. You can make changes to your name details up to 21 days before your graduation ceremony.
  • Once you have graduated, you cannot update the name details on your testamur, except in cases of a change of gender.
  • If you have changed your gender and would like your documents updated, please email us for advice.
  • A transcript of your academic record, giving complete details of your studies at the University, including the courses and units completed and the awards conferred. You will receive your transcript with your testamur at your graduation ceremony. If you don't attend, these will be posted to you in the weeks following the ceremony. You will also receive a digital copy via My eQuals.
  • You will also receive your AHEGS (Australian Higher Education Graduate Statement) as a digital copy via My eQuals. Hard copy AHEGS are no longer provided.
  • You may obtain additional academic transcripts by submitting an order through eStudent.

Refer to Eligibility for more information.