Skip to content

Name Changes & Protocol

  • Name changes have to be made no later than 21 days before your ceremony.
  • Certificates are printed using your full legal name which is presumed to be the one in which you are enrolled. This is the name which is shown on your Graduation Eligibility letter.
  • Documentary evidence of a change, such as a birth certificate, extract of birth registration, passport, marriage certificate, citizenship papers, divorce decree, or registered deed poll, is required for a name change to be made.
  • If you are changing your surname(s) or given name(s) you must provide documentary evidence which shows the link between your previous and new name. For example a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or registered deed poll.
  • Contractions (e.g. Greg, Ben, Geoff, Liz, Di etc.) and initials (e.g. John F. Smith, or Laura W. Brown) are not acceptable unless documentary evidence of the legality of the name is provided.
  • It is essential that you have your legal name on your certificate and not a name by which you are commonly known. For example, if you have a middle name which is not shown on University files, but that middle name is on your birth certificate or passport, then you must have that name on your certificate as well. With security issues being tightened worldwide, many institutions will not accept that 'John Smith' is the same person as 'John Charles Smith' even with the same date of birth.
  • If you are an overseas student, particularly from an Asian country, you may find that the University has ordered your names incorrectly. Please advise Student Services how you would like your names to be ordered. A copy of your national ID card or passport is required as proof if you wish to add or delete names not shown on the letter sent to you. Unless you advise us, your family name (surname) will always be put last.
  • If you are attending your graduation ceremony, your name will be read out to the audience by the Dean when you are presented to the Chancellor. If you have a name which has a particular pronunciation, or it is not obvious from the spelling what the correct pronunciation is, please supply us with a 'plain English' phonetic version. For example, if your surname is Szajnaq, it would be helpful to know that it is pronounced Shay-nark.
  • Please note, after you have graduated, your name cannot be changed, except in cases of a change in gender. If you have changed your gender and want your documents updated, please email us for advice.

Instructions on changing your name details