History units 3

University of Tasmania
History Units - 1996


To turn back a page

History Level 3 units



See also those units which are offered at both 200 and 300 levels



HTA329 The History of Van Diemen's Land 1642-1856

Studies: the history of the colony of Van Diemen's Land from its discovery to self-government, relating interpretation of the historical process to available sources; the evolution of the colony from a penal station into a free society, paying close attention to the 'fatal clash' with the Aborigines, and issues of crime, punishment and reform; the economic, cultural and political development of the colony, culminating in the anti-transportation movement and the achievement of self-government, relating the colony's history to the pattern of British control and management of her other colonies during the period; and the historiography of the period, using contemporary documents and other source material (particularly the rich colonial office documents on microfilm) to analyse how historical accounts of the colony developed.

Special notes
teaching staff Mr P Chapman
campus & mode Hbt, int
unit weight [10%]
teaching pattern sem 2 - 2 hrs a week (Mon at 3.00 p.m., Thurs at 10.00 a.m.)
prerequisites completion of or concurrent enrolment in at least 50% in history at levels 200 and 300 combined
corequisites
mutual exclusions
method of assessment minor 500-page survey paper (10%), major 2,000-word research essay (35%), tutorial participation (5%), 2-hour exam in Nov (50%)
required texts, etc
Robson LL, A History of Tasmania, vol 1: Van Diemen's Land from the Earliest Times to 1855, Oxford.
Shaw AGL, Convicts and the Colonies, Melbourne University Press.
-, Sir George Arthur, Bart, Melbourne University Press.
Robson LL, The Convict Settlers of Australia, Melbourne University Press.
recommended reading

Course: Bachelor of Arts (R3A)
Bachelor of Science - Physical Sciences, Psychology or Humanities (S3G.03)






Staff of the Department of History
To return to Units Contents Page
To return to Handbooks Home Page

© University of Tasmania, 1996.
Details shown above were correct at the time of publication. While every effort is made to keep this information up to date, the University reserves the right to discontinue or vary courses at any time without notice.



HTA330 Special Topic



Special notes not offered in 1996 
teaching staff
campus & mode
unit weight
teaching pattern
prerequisites
corequisites
mutual exclusions
method of assessment
required texts, etc
recommended reading

Course: Bachelor of Arts (R3A)
Bachelor of Science - Physical Sciences, Psychology or Humanities (S3G.03)






Staff of the Department of History
To return to Units Contents Page
To return to Handbooks Home Page

© University of Tasmania, 1996.
Details shown above were correct at the time of publication. While every effort is made to keep this information up to date, the University reserves the right to discontinue or vary courses at any time without notice.



Special Subject

Is available to students seeking a double major in History and intending to enter honours in History. Entry is restricted to students who achieved a distinction in History at level 100 or in History units totalling 30% at level 200 or in units totalling 50% at levels 200 and 300. They must have passed or be currently enrolled in units at level 200 and 300 to a value of 80%, exclusive of the Special Subject. Students select one of the following seminar courses (value 30%), which will be taught jointly with Honours, the availability of which depends on viable class-size:

HTA333, HTA336, HTA363, HTA365.

For information on content and availability of these units, contact the department as soon as is convenient.

HTA331 The Modern Mind in AustraliaNot offered in 1996
HTA332 The Making of Tudor England, c. 1450-1550Not offered in 1996
HTA333 East-West Relations, c.800-1300Prof RM Thomson
HTA336 Religion in Australian HistoryDr RG Ely
HTA363 Muslim Nationalism and the Indian PartitionDr A Roy
HTA365 Irish NationalismProf RP Davis
HTA391 The Cold War as HistoryNot offered in 1996


N.B.
teaching staff various
campus & mode Hbt, int
unit weight [30%]
teaching pattern full year - normally 2 hrs a week
prerequisites
corequisites
mutual exclusions
method of assessment written work of some 8,000 words and seminar participation (50%) 3-hour exam (50%).
required texts, etc
recommended reading

To continue with History units