The Flexible Library Service is a service offered to UTAS staff and students who are:
- Living more than 40km from the Launceston and Sandy Bay Campuses during semester or
- Undertaking studies or working at the Cradle Coast Campus or
- Undertaking practical work at a location more than 40km from the Launceston and Sandy Bay Campuses
By using the Flexible Library Service you can:
- request loans via the Library catalogue and have them posted to your designated (Semester) address as listed in your eStudent record. Please ensure you update your eStudent address when necessary. Please note the Library is unable to post books overseas
- request articles or extracts from books to be sent as an electronic attachment to your UTAS email from our Library collections
- ask for help when searching for information
If you are unable to obtain the material you require eligible users (Staff and Post-graduate students) can request items through Document Delivery. Flexible library users can have requested Document Delivery items posted out.
How do I request an item:
You will need your student number and your Library PIN to request an item from the Library catalogue.
If you are having difficulty placing your requests email Flexible@lib.utas.edu.au
Undergraduate students eligible for the Flexible Library Services may borrow up to 25 items for 28 days, and have an extra seven days to allow for postage.
Items will be posted to your Semester address as listed in your eStudent record. Please ensure you update your eStudent address when necessary. Please note the Library is unable to post books overseas
How do I request a scan:
What information must I supply for scanning material from books or journals?
Check the Library's catalogue to ensure that we hold the item you require and obtain the following details.
- Library location and call number
- holdings for journal titles
- full details of the book or journal title, author of book and year of publication.
With each request you must also include:
- your name and student ID number, and
- a date after which the item is no longer needed
- indicate whether an alternative title is acceptable, if we are unable to provide the item requested. Make sure you include the relevant course code.
Theses are not available to loan, you can request to view them at a UTAS library if you are on campus.
Items held in the Reserve or Reference collections are not normally available to post but
- are available for use in a UTAS Library
- we can photocopy the contents pages and index if relevant. You can then request the relevant chapter or 10% of the item to be copied
- contents pages may already be listed on the catalogue which assists in choosing what is to be copied
If the Library does not have the material you need, eligible users can request it from the Document Delivery service.
We are unable to post items to students living overseas
You can choose to have the books that you request:
- posted to your designated (Semester) address as listed in your eStudentCentre record. Please ensure you update your eStudentCentre address when necessary.
- sent by internal mail to a University of Tasmania Library for you to pick up.
If we are posting books to you please allow 3-4 working days for your items to arrive.
You can monitor your loans and your requests on your MyLibrary account via the Library Home page. You can also cancel requests, if you no longer need the items.
The Library undertakes to contact you where material can't be found or there are other difficulties encountered with supply.
The Library is unable to send books to students living overseas.
Loans can be renewed if the item is not overdue and if the item has not been requested by another borrower.
You can renew items:
Ensure that your loan items are returned to a UTAS library by the due date.
You can return items:
- Via the post, using the supplied eParcel Return Address label you received with the item. If you have misplaced your eParcel Return Address label contact us via email.
- Via the return chute at any UTAS Library in Tasmania
- Via the self-check at the Cradle Coast and Rozelle Campuses
- At the TasTAFE Devonport Campus (remember to return items BEFORE the due date to allow for return to the UTAS library)
Overdue & Lost items
The library does not charge fines for overdue items, however a replacement charge of $130.00 will apply for items deemed lost or damaged. On receipt of a tax invoice, you must pay your account within 30 days, but if an item is returned the replacement charges are removed from your account.
You can pay for lost items by:
- Online via the ePayment Portal (under Library invoice)
- Phoning UConnect during business hours on 1300 826 663
Material will not be sent to you until overdue material is returned and all charges are paid. Once payment has been made, your library record and any related sanctions will be updated within one business day.
If you have problems renewing or returning items, please contact Flexible Library Service.
Library services for those studying online.
|Flexible Library Services|
|Postal address||Locked Bag 1312, Launceston 7248|