MakerX Burnie is coming!
MakerX is an exciting, new family-friendly "show & tell" event from people who love to MAKE, CREATE, LEARN and INNOVATE. It's a community event where people show what they make and share what they learn.
Join us at the Burnie Arts and Function Centre on the 18th August, 11am–3pm.
Showcase your Making
Join us as we bring together engineering, manufacturing, technology, arts, craft, design, music, science and agriculture from a broad range of professionals, amateurs, educators and hobbyists, as part of National Science Week 2019.
Participation in MakerX will:
- Promote your activities and products and showcase your unique contribution to our region
- Broaden our community's understanding of the Maker movement and STEAM technologies
- Contribute towards a new network of Makers, including students, community groups and businesses
- Give back to the community by building aspiration for our next generation
- Make 2019 National Science Week in North-west Tasmania BIG, BOLD and EXCITING
Share your knowledge
MakerX is for anyone excited about sharing their knowledge and creativity. We are particularly keen to hear from exhibitors who are able to deliver interactive presentations about the products and technologies they make, including:
- Individual Makers: Hobbyists, artisans, artists and crafts practitioners
- Commercial Makers: Individuals or businesses with market-ready or developmental products
- Maker Groups: Societies, clubs, school groups and not-for-profit organisations, e.g. Men's Sheds, Robotics Clubs
- Presenters: Individuals and groups delivering 10-60 minute public presentations from the stage, such as panel discussions, interviews, Q&A's, how-to workshops, new ideas, products and demonstrations
- Performers: Stage, roving and busker-style sets available for musicians and a broad range of other entertainers.
Please feel free to contact the organisers to discuss your ideas and requirements.
Demonstrations and Hands on Activities for all the Family
- Virtual Reality
- 3D printing
- Locally manufactured industrial vehicles
- Solar and F1 model cars
- An electric car
- Video game demos
- Make and race your own model car!
- Jewellery making
- Textiles and Ceramics
- Riawunna community
- Paper making & sculpting
- Arts and crafts
- Metals and gems
- Inventing Tomorrow (Film)
- Scinema Short Films
- Food and beverage
- Explore science!
- Workshops and interactive demonstrations*
- Much MUCH more!
PRIZES, PRIZES, PRIZES!
Registration and door prizes – PLUS, try your hand at winning a prize through making and racing your own car at our inaugural BURNIE DERBY!! Bring a creation from home or school – or make it at MakerX!
*Materials costs apply for some workshops and hands-on demonstrations
- Call for Makers opens: 27 June 2019
- Call for Makers closes: 21 July 2019
- Applicants notified by: 28 July 2019
- Set-up: Saturday 17 August 12pm - 5pm and Sunday 18 August 7 - 10.45 am
- MakerX Burnie: 18 August – 11am - 3pm
- Bump-out: 18 August – 3:15pm – 5:30pm