Hiding Final Scores
This guide details the steps involved in ensuring that the final assessment grade item and the overall calculated grades within a subject are not displayed to students. For further information on how to set up your Gradebook please refer to this guide.
Note: That unless you have ticked the option to automatically release your final grades (which is off by default), the release of these grade items is a manual process. Final results are processed via MyResults.
Setup Wizard (Gradebook settings)
The first step is to ensure that the Gradebook settings are set so that the final calculated grade item is not displayed to students.
- Click Grades in the navigation bar
- Click the Setup Wizard tab
- Click Start
- Select the Weighted Grading System
- Click the radio button to the left of Calculated Final Grade and ensure that the Automatically release final grade option is left unchecked. Press Continue.
- Select to Treat ungraded items as 0 and tick the item Automatically keep final grade updated. Click Continue.
- Check UTAS Grades and continue
- Ensure the checkbox to the left of Display final grade calculation to users is un-checked
- Click Continue then Finish.
A table of the recommended Grade settings is below.
Final Grade Released
Calculated Final Grade
Automatically Release Final Grade
Unticked – Final Grade should not be released
Grade Calculations – Ungraded Items
Treat ungraded items as 0
Drop Ungraded items
If this setting is chosen it will need to be updated to Treat ungraded items as 0 before commencing finalisation of marks & import into MyResults
Grade Calculations - Auto Update
Automatically keep final grades updated
Update the display of Final Calculated Grades
The final calculated columns are altered so that if the score is published to students, they will still not be viewable.
Final Calculated Grades
- Select Grades on the NavBar. Then press on the Manage Grades tab.
- Select the dropdown arrow to the right of Final Calculated Grade and Select Edit
Under the heading Display Options > Student View:
- Check the box to the left of Override display options for this item
- Select the following:
- Points grade – unchecked
- Weighted grade – unchecked
- Grade scheme symbol – unchecked
- Grade scheme colour – unchecked
- Click Save and Close
Hide Final Assessment Task Score
These steps detail how to hide the final assessment task score from students from within the Grades.
- Click Grades on the NavBar
- Click the Manage Grades tab
- Click the dropdown arrow to the right of the final grade item for the subject (e.g. Assessment Task 3)
- Select Hide from Users
Note: To ensure that students see no grades it is wise to hide the assessment item as well. This can be done from within the assignment or quiz tool using the same process as above.
If you are scoring directly into Turnitin Feedback Studio, quizzes or another tool, please contact Digital.Futures.CoHM@utas.edu.au for support.
Update User Progress Settings
In addition to individual and overall grade settings, there are other subject settings that will release scores to students. These can be updated with the MyLO MATE tool.
- Click Grades on the NavBar
- Click Open User Progress Settings in the top right-hand corner of the Grades screen
- Click Apply Common Hide Settings - this will untick the highlighted items so they do not appear in the User Progress Tool for the student to view.