The Banks Family have established an endowed fund (the Fund) in memory of Dr Maxwell R Banks AM, esteemed faculty member at the University of Tasmania Department of Geology from 1947 to 1990. The Fund is for the benefit of students and academic research in the discipline of Earth Sciences at the University of Tasmania, with a particular focus on geology.
Type of Scholarship
Next Scheduled Offer
*Please check back regularly as this date is subject to change
- An amount donated by The Banks Family (the Donor) to the University of Tasmania Foundation, together with any future donations and accrued interest, (the Fund) forms the endowment of a scholarship to be called the “The Max Banks Research Scholarship in Earth Sciences” (the Scholarship).
- The Scholarship will be awarded as a Top-up Scholarship for eligible PhD candidates already holding or eligible for a Research Training Program (RTP) stipend or equivalent base living allowance stipend.
- The Scholarship may only be awarded to an eligible Higher Degree by Research student studying at the University of Tasmania in the discipline of Earth Sciences. The eligibility criteria are:
- For a candidate with a research project in the discipline of Earth Sciences, with a preference for Geology
- As this is a Top-up Scholarship, the student must already hold or be eligible for a base stipend at the RTP scholarship rate
- The award is allocated by demonstration of academic merit
- If changes occur to courses offered at the University at some time in the future, or should the criteria in practice limit the number of applicants significantly, the University Graduate Research Office may modify the criteria, in consultation with the Donors, to ensure the scholarship can be awarded.
- The Scholarship selection will be determined by an approved selection process overseen by the Dean of Graduate Research, with specific regard to the eligibility criteria as detailed in clause 3.
- The Scholarship is tenable for 3.5 years of the student’s course of study. The duration of the Scholarship will be reduced by any periods of study undertaken: (a) towards the degree prior to the commencement of the top-up; or (b) towards the degree during suspension of the top-up and is subject to the student:
- continuing in full-time study or in part-time study if approved by the Graduate Research Office
- continuing to make satisfactory academic progress in accordance with the Higher Degree by Research Candidature Management and Higher Degree by Research Reviews of Progress Policies
- providing a written report on their progress to the Graduate Research Office where specified in the conditions of the award
- One scholarship will be offered at any time, with the scholarship being open to application at any time it is not currently being held by a PhD candidate.
- The Advancement Office will set the annual value of the Scholarship with regard to the income from the Fund. The value will be reviewed prior to advertisement of the Scholarship.
- The Dean of Graduate Research and the Graduate Research Office will determine all other matters concerning the Scholarship, including advertising, application procedures and the method and time of payment.
- The ‘Max Banks Research Scholarship in Earth Sciences Scholarship’ may only be held at the University of Tasmania.