The creation of new knowledge and/or the use of existing knowledge in a new and creative way to generate new concepts, methodologies, inventions and understandings. This could include synthesis and analysis of previous research to the extent that it is new and creative.
This definition should be interpreted broadly and irrespective of:
- The (sub)discipline or methodology of the work
- Whether the work requires ethics approval
- The funding source of the work (if any)
- The level of experience of the researcher/s
- The sources of data for the work
- The potential participant pool (if any), or
- The nature of any research outputs.