Recipient of Australian Learning and Teaching Council (ALTC) citation award 'for leadership in the development and implementation of Education for Sustainability within pre-service and in-service teacher education' (2009).
Sessional lecturer, Science education
- Carter, L. and Smith, C. (2003). Re-visioning science education from a science studies and futures perspective. Journal of Futures Studies 7 (4) pp 45-54.
- Gidley, J., Bateman, D. & Smith C. (2004). Futures in education: Principles, practice and potential. Australian Foresight Institute Monograph #4. Melbourne: Swinburne University of Technology.
- Hurley, K., Masini, E., Boulding, E., Eisler, R., Premchander, S., McCorduck, P., Kelly, P., Bateman, D., Sahtouris, E., Smith, C., Patinol, J., Jarva, V., Milosevic, I. & Groff, L. (2008). Futures studies and feminism, Futures40 (4), pp 388-407.
- Ryan, J., Jones, M., Buchanan, M., Morris, P. Nuttall, M. & Smith, C. (2011). Effective preservice teacher education 'At a distance': An investigation of the multimodal delivery of a secondary preservice teacher education program-perceptions of preservice teachers, teachers and university lecturers. In MacTeer, C. Distance Education (pp. 149-166). Nova Publications.
- Smith, C. (In press). Permaculture – history and futures. In Slaughter, R. and Sykes-Kelleher, A. (In press). History of Australian Futures. Centre for Australian Foresight. http://cfaf.com.au/a-history-of-australian-futures/
- Smith, C. (In Press). Role plays and drama in science learning. In Gunstone, R. (Ed). Encyclopedia of Science Education. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer Academic Publishers.
- Smith, C. (2010). Reconnecting with Earth: Ecospirituality as the missing dimension in spirituality and sustainability education. Ch. 34. In de Souza, M., Francis, L., O'Higgins-Norman, J., Scott, D. (eds). International Handbook of Education for Spirituality, Care and Wellbeing. 2 volumes. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer Academic Publishers.
- Smith, C. (2009). Education for sustainability and the role of future-focused pedagogy. In J. Zajda (ed.) Globalisation and comparative education in schooling for the future: Comparative education policy for the 21st century. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer Academic Publishers.
- Smith, C. (2009). Reconnecting with the universe: Religious education for ecospirituality. Religious Education Journal of Australia (REJA)25 (1) pp 17-24.
- Smith, C. (2007). Education and society: The case for ecoliteracy. Education and Society25 (1), pp25-37.
- Smith C. (2002). Permaculture: hope and empowerment for a sustainable future. In S Inayatullah & S Leggetts (eds.) Transforming communication: Technology, sustainability and future generations. Connecticut: Praeger Publishers, pp 170-179.
- Sullivan, P., Prain, V., Campbell, C., Deed, C., Drane, S., Faulkner, M., McDonough, A., Mornane, A., & Smith, C. (2009). Trying in the middle years: Students perceptions of their aspirations and influences on their efforts. Australian Journal of Education, 5(2), pp 176-191.
Books and Manuals
- Dawborn, K. and Smith, C. (Eds). (2011) Permaculture pioneers: Stories from the new frontier. Hepburn: Melliodora Publishing (Book).
- Jackson, G., Smith, C., et al. (in press). Crop protection training manual for Kastom Gaden trainers in Solomon Islands. Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID).
- Jackson, G., Smith, C., et al. (2010). Improving Plant Protection in Solomon Islands (IPPSI). Crop Protection Curriculum and Teaching Methods for Solomon Islands. Manual for Trainers and Trainees. Secretariat of the Pacific Community, Suva, Fiji.
- Smith, C (2013/draft). Education for sustainability in the Archdiocese of Melbourne. Melbourne: Catholic Education Office.
- Bateman, D., Gidley, J. and Smith, C. (2006). Futures in education. Professional Educator5 (1), pp14-20.
- Carter, L. and Smith, C. (2004). Science: A bigger picture. EQ Australia3, Spring, pp 5-6.
- Smith, C. (2014). Science reveals the spirit at the heart of creation. EarthSong Journal2, Issue 7, Autumn, pp 19-20.
- Smith, C. (2013). Embracing chaos and complexity for a saner world. EarthSong Journal 2 Issue 6, Spring pp 5-7.
- Smith, C. (2013). Four seasons in Australia – Time to rethink? Earthsong Journal2 Issue 5, Autumn, pp 9-10.
- Smith, C. (2012). Ecology and transformation. EarthSong Journal2, Issue 3, Autumn, pp 18-20.
- Smith, C. (2011). Ockham's razor or 'less is more' EarthSong Journal2, Issue 2, Spring, pp 13-14.
- Smith, C. (2011). Re-discovering our ecological self. Earthsong Journal, 2, Issue 1, Autumn, pp 9-10.
- Smith, C. (2010). Reconnecting with the universe. EarthSong Journal1, Issue 12, Autumn, pp 29-32.
- Smith, C. (2009). Outside Africa: Microscience in the Solomon Islands. In Compendium of innovations and good practices in Microscience. UNESCO, Abuja.
- Smith, C. (2008). Futures education: The missing dimension in education for sustainability. Learning Matters: Renew the face of the earth. Catholic Education Office, Melbourne, 13 (1) pp 35-38.
- Smith, C. (2008). Imagining the real. Life on a greenhouse earth. EarthSong Journal1 Issue 9, Spring, pp 40-42.
- Smith, C. (2007). Science for primary teachers at ACU National. EarthSong Journal1 Issue 7.
- Smith, C. In Parkinson, S. and Spedding, V. (Eds.) (2006). Critical Paths: 12 inspiring cases of ethical careers in science end technology. Scientists for Global Responsibility, UK, pp 14-15.
- Smith, C. (2005). Permaculture, organics and food security: an Australian perspective. Pacific Ecologist10, pp 34-38.
- Smith, C. (2004). Re-enchanting western science. EarthSong Journal Issue 1, Spring, pp 19-22 & 39.
- Smith, C. (2001). Science education: Making sense of the 21st century. Learning Matters: Science education. Catholic Education Office, Melbourne, 6 (2) pp 2-6.
- Smith, C. (2006-2011) Solomon Islands Catholic Teachers' Sodality Conference, Honiara. Annual reports to Archdiocese of Honiara and Diocese of Sale.
- Smith, C. (2009). Developing quality science education in the Solomon Islands: Evaluation trial of Microscience kits. Report to Caritas Australia.
- Smith, C. (2007). Providing leadership in transitions to a sustainable future. ACU National Faculty of Education.
Fields of Research
- Science, Technology and Engineering Curriculum and Pedagogy (130212)
- Education Systems (130199)
- Education (139999)
- Environmental Philosophy (220303)
- Environmental Politics (160605)
- Sociology of Education (160809)
- Public Nutrition Intervention (111104)
- Curriculum and Pedagogy Theory and Development (130202)
- Educational Administration, Management and Leadership (130304)
- Learner and Learning Achievement (930101)
- Curriculum (930399)
- Learner and Learning Processes (930102)
- Management and Leadership of Schools/Institutions (930401)
- Equity and Access to Education (939903)
- Climate and Climate Change (960399)
- Education and Training Systems Policies and Development (930501)
- Education and Training (939999)
- Expanding Knowledge in Philosophy and Religious Studies (970122)
- Expanding Knowledge in the Environmental Sciences (970105)
Journal Article(5 outputs)
|2019||Smith C, Fitzallen N, Watson J, Wright S, 'The practice of statistics for STEM: Primary students and pre-service primary teachers exploring variation in seed dispersal', Teaching Science, 65, (1) pp. 38-47. ISSN 1449-6313 (2019) [Refereed Article]|
Co-authors: Fitzallen N; Watson J; Wright S
|2019||Smith C, Watson J, 'Does the rise of STEM education mean the demise of sustainability education?', Australian Journal of Environmental Education, 29, (1) pp. 1-11. ISSN 0814-0626 (2019) [Refereed Article]|
Citations: Web of Science - 1
Co-authors: Watson J
|2018||Smith C, Watson J, 'STEM: Silver bullet for a viable future or just more flatland?', Journal of Futures Studies, 22, (4) pp. 25-44. ISSN 1027-6084 (2018) [Refereed Article]|
Citations: Scopus - 2Web of Science - 2
Co-authors: Watson J
|2017||Smith C, Fraser S, Corbett M, 'Liquid modernity, emplacement and education for the anthropocene: challenges for rural education in Tasmania', Australian and International Journal of Rural Education, 27, (3) pp. 196-212. ISSN 1839-7387 (2017) [Refereed Article]|
Co-authors: Fraser S; Corbett M
|2016||Cranston N, Watson J, Allen J, Wright S, Hay I, et al., 'Overcoming the challenges of keeping young people in education: A wicked problem with implications for leadership, policy and practice', Leading and Managing, 22, (1) pp. 1-18. ISSN 1329-4539 (2016) [Refereed Article]|
Co-authors: Cranston N; Watson J; Wright S; Hay I; Beswick K; Roberts W; Kameniar B
Conference Publication(4 outputs)
|2018||Murray S, Auckland S, Smith C, 'Creating a Food Systems Education Framework for Tasmania - A case study', Public Health Association of Australia Food Futures Conference, 20 - 21 November 2018, Brisbane, Australia (2018) [Conference Extract]|
Co-authors: Murray S; Auckland S
|2016||Smith C, Watson J, 'STEM and Education for Sustainability: Finding common ground for a thriveable future', Proceedings of the 2016 Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE) Conference, 27 November - 1 December 2016, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, pp. 1-11. ISSN 1324-9320 (2016) [Refereed Conference Paper]|
Co-authors: Watson J
|2016||Smith CJ, McLeod CJ, 'Deep exploration of student attainment and retention: Keeping students in education beyond Year 10 in Tasmania', Proceedings of the 2016 Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE) Conference, 27 November - 1 December 2016, Melbourne, Australia, pp. 1-16. (2016) [Refereed Conference Paper]|
Co-authors: McLeod CJ
|2016||Smith CJ, Watson JM, 'STEM and education for sustainability: finding common ground for a thriveable future', Proceedings of the 2016 Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE) Conference, 27 November - 1 December 2016, Melbourne, Australia, pp. 1-11. ISSN 1324-9320 (2016) [Refereed Conference Paper]|
Co-authors: Watson JM
Contract Report, Consultant's Report(3 outputs)
|2017||Corbett M, Fraser S, Beswick K, Smith H, Wells J, et al., 'Dream Big evaluation: Final Report', University of Tasmania, Australia (2017) [Consultants Report]|
Co-authors: Corbett M; Fraser S; Beswick K; Smith H; Wells J; Reaburn R; McCarthy R; Roberts J; McLeod C; Sutton G
|2017||Corbett M, Fraser S, McLeod C, Sutton G, Smith C, 'CREATE: Final Report', University of Tasmania, Australia (2017) [Consultants Report]|
Co-authors: Corbett M; Fraser S; McLeod C; Sutton G
|2017||Corbett Michael John, Fraser SP, Beswick K, Smith H, Wells Jill, et al., 'Report of the program evaluation of Dream Big'', Burnie City Council, Launceston, Tasmania, Final (2017) [Contract Report]|
Co-authors: Corbett Michael John; Fraser SP; Beswick K; Smith H; Wells Jill; Reaburn RL; McCarthy RJ; Roberts JV; McLeod CJ; Sutton GN; Page LA
|2015||Smith CJ, 'Role-plays and drama in science learning', Encyclopedia of science education, R Gunstone (ed), Germany, 2, pp. 841-843 (2015) [Entry]|
Other Public Output(1 outputs)
|2014||Smith CJ, 'Science reveals the spirit at the heart of creation', EarthSong Journal, EarthSong Project, Australia, 2, 7, pp. 19-20. (2014) [Magazine Article]|
|PhD||How Can Teachers Who Stay in Rural Areas Simultaneous Support Belonging, Community Building, Individual Aspirations and Mobility?||2018|