Indira is a PhD candidate in the Faculty of Law. Her research focuses on exploring whether prevailing (mis)understandings of ‘gender’ in international criminal law undermine accountability for war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide.
Indira Rosenthal works as an expert adviser and consultant in international human rights law, international criminal law and legal development, specialising in gender analysis, violence against women, women’s access to justice, law reform and civil society capacity-building. She consults widely on these issues, including for the Human Dignity Trust, World Health Organisation, UN Women, the UK Government and the Family Court of Australia. In 2018, Indira jointly conducted a review of the University of Tasmania’s ability to respond to sexual assault and sexual harassment on campus with Robin Banks (UTAS Law), An Initial Review of Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment Prevention and Response at the University of Tasmania. She has also served as Gender and Legal Adviser, Amnesty International; Legal Counsel with Human Rights Watch’s International Justice Program; and as a senior government lawyer in the Australian Attorney-General’s Department. She has published on gender issues in international criminal and humanitarian law, as well as on national sexual violence laws and women’s access to justice. Indira is a member of the Commonwealth Group of Experts on Reform of Sexual Offences, Hate Crimes and Related Laws.
LLM, Australian National University, Australia
LLB Melbourne Law School, University of Melbourne, Australia
Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Leo Cussen Centre for Law, Melbourne, Australia
Admitted to practise as a Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Courts of Victoria and the Australian Capital Territory
Fields of Research
- International criminal law (480306)
- Criminal law (480401)
- Law reform (480406)
- International humanitarian and human rights law (480307)
- Gender and sexualities (230108)
- Law reform (230405)
- Pacific Peoples development and wellbeing (210902)
- ‘Gender-based Persecution as a Crime Against Humanity, The Road Ahead’, (with Rosemary Grey et al) 17 Journal of International Criminal Justice (2019)
- ‘Gender and the ILC’s 2019 Draft Articles on the Prevention and Punishment of Crimes Against Humanity’ (with Valerie Oosterveld), 2 African Journal of International Criminal Justice 2020
- Gender and International Criminal Law, (with, V. Oosterveld and S. SáCouto eds), (Oxford University Press, forthcoming 2021).
- What is Gender in International Criminal Law? (with V. Oosterveld & S. SáCouto) in Gender and International Criminal Law, eds. I. Rosenthal and V. Oosterveld, (Oxford University Press, forthcoming 2021).
- ‘Rape and Other Sexual Violence in the Geneva Conventions and Additional Protocols’, (with Patricia Viseur-Sellers), in The Geneva Conventions in Context: A Commentary, (Oxford University Press, 2015) (peer reviewed). Winner, 2017 American Society of International Law Certificate of Merit for High Technical Craftsmanship and Utility to Practicing Lawyers and Scholars.
- 5 Regional Reports: Next Steps Towards Reform: Assessing Good Practice and Gaps In Commonwealth Sexual Offences Legislation in the Pacific, Africa, Caribbean and Americas, Asia and Europe (Human Dignity Trust, London, 2020) (https://www.humandignitytrust.org/reform/ and https://bit.ly/39qZAwI)
- Good Practice in Human Rights Compliant Sexual Offences Laws in the Commonwealth (with Rodney Croome and Robin Banks), (Human Dignity Trust, London, 2019) (https://bit.ly/2XKiFaU)
- An Initial Review of Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment Prevention and Response at the University of Tasmania 2018 (with Robin Banks), (http://www.utas.edu.au/neverok)
- A Study on the Relationship between National Laws and Violence against Women and Girls in the Western Pacific Region, (with Leisha Lister), World Health Organisation 2018.
- Rispektem ol woman mo pikinini: Women and Children’s Access to the Formal Justice System in Vanuatu, UN Women, 2016 (with Law and Development Partners). (http://asiapacific.unwomen.org/en/digital-library/publications/2016/07/women-and-childrens-access-to-the-formal-justice-system-in-vanuatu)
- Tools For Justice, A Guide to Gender and International Justice (Amnesty International, 2012).
- Old Crimes, Same Suffering: No Justice for Survivors of Wartime Rape in North-East Bosnia and Herzegovina, (Research Brief, Amnesty International, 2012). (https://www.amnesty.org/en/documents/EUR63/002/2012/en/)
- The Sky will Not Fall, Video: Human Dignity Trust,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H462Z0A3DHI&t=1s
(Winner of the IMPACT Doc Awards Season 2021, Award of Excellence: Documentary Short; Award of Merit Special Mention: Use of Film / Video for Social Change)
Journal Article(3 outputs)
|2022||O'Brien M, Rosenthal I, Grey R, 'Historic feminist intervention at the International Criminal Court - the appeals hearing in Prosecutor v Dominic Ongwen', Australian Journal of Human Rights ISSN 1323-238X (2022) [Refereed Article]|
Co-authors: Grey R
|2020||Rosenthal I, Oosterveld V, 'Gender and the ILC's 2019 Draft Articles on the Prevention and Punishment of Crimes Against Humanity', African Journal of International Criminal Justice, 6, (2) pp. 214-226. ISSN 2352-068X (2020) [Refereed Article]|
|2019||Grey R, O'Donohue J, Rosenthal I, Davis L, Llanta D, 'Gender-based persecution as a crime against humanity: the road ahead', Journal of International Criminal Justice, 17, (5) pp. 957-979. ISSN 1478-1387 (2019) [Refereed Article]|
Citations: Scopus - 3Web of Science - 6
Chapter in Book(1 outputs)
|2015||Viseur Sellers P, Rosenthal I, 'Rape and Other Sexual Violence', The 1949 Geneva Conventions: A Commentary, Oxford University Press, A Clapham et al (ed), UK, pp. 343-368. ISBN 9780199675449 (2015) [Other Book Chapter]|
Contract Report, Consultant's Report(3 outputs)
|2020||Rosenthal I, Linehan J, Lister L, Forster C, 'Next Steps Towards Reform: Assessing good practice and gaps in Commonwealth sexual offences legislation', Human Dignity Trust, Equality & Justice Alliance, UK (2020) [Contract Report]|
Co-authors: Linehan J
|2019||Rosenthal I, Croome R, Banks R, 'Good Practice in Human Rights Compliant Sexual Offences Laws in the Commonwealth', Human Dignity Trust, Equality & Justice Alliance, UK (2019) [Contract Report]|
Co-authors: Banks R
|2016||Lister L, Rosenthal I, Sumner C, 'Women and Children's Access to the Formal Justice System in Vanuatu', UN Women, Vanuatu (2016) [Consultants Report]|