What you need to do

On your first day of candidature, complete a Commencement of Candidature form with your supervisor/s or Graduate Research Coordinator (GRC) and return it via email to the Graduate Research Office.

You should also discuss details about where your desk will be located and obtaining the necessary equipment for your research with your supervisor/s.

Your Commencement of Candidature initiates the enrolment process for commencing your research degree.

In order to finalise commencement, you will need to complete the following forms (found here, under Commencement of Candidature) with your supervisor/s or Graduate Research Coordinator (GRC):

  • Commencement of Candidature
  • Banking Details (if in receipt of a scholarship)

The completed forms then need to be submitted to the Graduate Research Office via email in order for your course enrolment to progress.

If you are an off-campus candidate, arrangements can be made on a case-by-case basis. Please discuss this with your supervisor/s, Graduate Research Coordinator (GRC) or the Graduate Research Office.

Obtain a Student ID Card

Following email confirmation that your enrolment has been completed, you can organise your Student ID and Access Card. Please take some photo identification and your student identification number (as shown on your letter of offer) when you go to get your card.

You will use your card to access the Library and photocopying/printing services on campus (CAPS). Your card can also be used for security purposes, examination entry and for receiving concessions.

Obtain Your Access Keys/Card

Your supervisor/s or Graduate Research Coordinator (GRC) will let you know which buildings you will need to access.

You can request access keys/card by completing the online form in ServiceNow.

Arrange your Desk Allocation

Your supervisor/s or Graduate Research Coordinator (GRC) will provide advice on your desk allocation, show you around your office area and introduce you to other candidates.

Undertake Any Site-Specific Lab or Building Inductions

Your supervisor/s or Graduate Research Coordinator (GRC) will advise you on any site-specific inductions that are required. Ensure that these take place as soon as practicable, to minimise any delays to starting your project.

Manage your Research Coursework Enrolment with eStudent

Course work units undertaken during candidature are designed to provide you with a range of training activities and career development opportunities that assist in developing high-level research, communication and management skills. The skills obtained will give you an edge with future employment opportunities.

Information regarding your graduate research coursework can be found here.

Pay your Student Services & Amenities Fee (Domestic candidates only)

The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) is a compulsory fee for student services and amenities of a non-academic nature such as employment and career advice, financial advice, childcare, food services and sporting and recreational activities.

MyLO is the online learning environment at UTAS. MyLO stands for My Learning Online.

It is recommended that you access the self-help guide if you are new to this system.

Complete the HDR Induction unit

Please find the Higher Degree by Research Candidate Induction module by searching here.

Refer to your Graduate Research Coursework requirements and enrol

Please find information about your Graduate Research Coursework requirements here.