Prior to Submitting an Application
- Changes to the application process have been made to ensure compliance with revisions to the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research (NHMRC 2007, updated 2018). Our FAQ provides a helpful overview of these changes and how they apply to your research
- If you are not sure of which form you should use for your application, please assess your project's level of risk before choosing your application form: Risk Assessment
- Please remember that there are other documents that you will need to submit along with your application, including your study protocol, information sheet and consent form
- Please ensure that all documents are submitted electronically and typed, as hand written forms will not be accepted
- Please ensure that all documents submitted for review are subject to version control. They should contain version numbers and be dated either in the document title or the document footer
- If you are conducting a clinical trial with University involvement, please review the requirements outlined on the Clinical Trials Governance page for additional requirements
- Staff and students who are conducting research as an affiliate of the University are required to have a working knowledge of the University of Tasmania's Responsible Conduct of Research Framework
- If your study involves participants who are not personally capable of giving consent and consent by a person responsible will therefore be sought, you will need to:
- Refer to the Tasmanian Guardianship and Administration Act 1995
- Seek advice from your institution’s legal department
- Submit a letter of advice, along with your application, from your institution’s legal department:
- Further information from the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) can be found here.
This is a required form that must be submitted in conjunction with your ethics application form. It lets us know about the local researchers and where the project will be undertaken in Tasmania.
Commencing 1 January 2019, we require a study protocol or project description to be submitted with all applications.
If you have an existing protocol you do not need to complete this template. Please ensure that your protocol meets the requirements of the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research (NHMRC 2007, updated 2018).
Information about data management plans is available as part of the University of Tasmania's Responsible Conduct of Research Framework, in Section 2: Management of Research Data and Primary Materials.
If you are submitting an application using the HREA, please note that it does not include a place for the Head of School/Department to sign.
Head of School/Department approval is mandatory and can be provided using this form.