25 September 2023
Domestic / International
About the research project
The presence of functional food components such resistant starch, non-starch dietary fibre and antioxidants in grain products has potential to offer beneficial functional health properties that result in reduced risk of cardiovascular disease and obesity as well as the potential for improved animal/aquaculture feeds with functional properties. Research into incorporation of grains in novel and traditional food products requires better understanding of the changes in raw material grain quality and during processing that impact the functional properties of grains. Australian sorghum is used extensively for animal and aquaculture feed and there is growing potential to be used in functional food health products. The research project will research changes in the quality of sorghum during storage and microwave processing into snack products in partnership with the Sanitarium Health Food Company to:
- Develop gluten free low energy snack food by understanding the impacts of raw material quality, storage conditions and microwave processing variables on the chemical composition, physical properties, digestibility and sensory acceptability of resulting puffed products.
- Provide the basis for the health food company investment in the development of sorghum low energy snack food and the potential for feed companies to use microwave processing to alter animal/aquaculture grain feed properties.
- Understand changes in the nutritional properties of sorghum low energy snack foods through research on the outcomes of digestion.
- Prepare business case to develop sorghum gluten free low energy snack food (in partnership with food processing/baking company).
Primary SupervisorMeet Dr Adel Yousif
Applicants will be considered for a Research Training Program (RTP) scholarship or Tasmania Graduate Research Scholarship (TGRS) which, if successful, provides:
- a living allowance stipend of $31,500 per annum (2023 rate, indexed annually) for 3.5 years
- a relocation allowance of up to $2,000
- a tuition fees offset covering the cost of tuition fees for up to four years (domestic applicants only)
If successful, international applicants will receive a University of Tasmania Fees Offset for up to four years.
As part of the application process you may indicate if you do not wish to be considered for scholarship funding.
Other funding opportunities and fees
For further information regarding other scholarships on offer, and the various fees of undertaking a research degree, please visit our Scholarships and fees on research degrees page.
Applicants should review the Higher Degree by Research minimum entry requirements.
Ensure your eligibility for the scholarship round by referring to our Key Dates.
Additional eligibility criteria specific to this project/scholarship:
- The project is open to Australian and New Zealand (domestic) candidates and to International candidates
- Research must be undertaken on a full-time basis
- Applicants must already have been awarded a Masters degree or first-class Honours degree or hold equivalent qualifications or relevant and substantial research experience in an appropriate sector
- Applicants must be able to undertake the project on-campus
The project is competitively assessed and awarded. Selection is based on academic merit and suitability to the project as determined by the College.
Additional essential selection criteria specific to this project:
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate strong research and analytical skills
- Select your project, and check that you meet the eligibility and selection criteria, including citizenship;
- Contact Dr Adel Yousif to discuss your suitability and the project's requirements; and
- In your application:
- Copy and paste the title of the project from this advertisement into your application. If you don’t correctly do this your application may be rejected.
- Submit a signed supervisory support form, a CV including contact details of 2 referees and your project research proposal.
- Apply prior to 25 September 2023.
Following the closing date applications will be assessed within the College. Applicants should expect to receive notification of the outcome by email by the advertised outcome date.