27 March 2023
About the research project
The project is aimed at exploring the fundamentals of 3D printing glass and multi-level porosity structures. 3D printing of plastics and metals fails to realise low-cost, robust, transparent, and biocompatible devices. The advent of glass and ceramic 3D printing can overcome these limitations. Moreover, multi-level porosity structures are becoming vital to the advancement of various fields, such as energy, health, and environmental science. The PhD project would include the development of a new 3D printer and exploring the analytical applications of the 3D printed hierarchically porous glass based microfluidic components.
Primary SupervisorMeet Dr Vipul Gupta
Applicants will be considered for a Research Training Program (RTP) scholarship or Tasmania Graduate Research Scholarship (TGRS) which, if successful, provides:
- a living allowance stipend of $31,500 per annum (2023 rate, indexed annually) for 3.5 years
- a relocation allowance of up to $2,000
- a tuition fees offset covering the cost of tuition fees for up to four years (domestic applicants only)
If successful, international applicants will receive a University of Tasmania Fees Offset for up to four years.
As part of the application process you may indicate if you do not wish to be considered for scholarship funding.
Applicants should review the Higher Degree by Research minimum entry requirements.
Additional eligibility criteria specific to this project/scholarship:
- Applicants must be able to undertake the project on-campus
- Research must be undertaken on a full-time basis
- Please provide a brief summary (maximum 1200 words) describing how your background and research experience will enable you to make advancements in the above-mentioned project objectives
Applicants from the following disciplines are encouraged to apply:
- Material Science
- Analytical Chemistry
The project is competitively assessed and awarded. Selection is based on academic merit and suitability to the project as determined by the College.
There is a three-step application process:
- Select your project, and check you meet the eligibility and selection criteria;
- Contact the Primary Supervisor, Dr Vipul Gupta to discuss your suitability and the project's requirements; and
- Submit an application by the closing date listed above.
- Copy and paste the title of the project from this advertisement into your application. If you don’t correctly do this your application may be rejected.
- As part of your application, you will be required to submit a covering letter, a CV including 2 x referees and your project research proposal.
Following the application closing date applications will be assessed within the College. Applicants should expect to receive notification of the outcome by email by the advertised outcome date.
Apply now Explore other projects