10 October 2022
About the research project
This proposal aims to understand the chemical and physical properties governing the transport of ions into and within advanced extracting polymeric materials, known as polymer inclusion membranes, under the influence of an applied voltage. These membranes are dry-to-touch and represent a new and potentially powerful analytical platform for environmental, medical and industry sample preparation. By understanding the transport mechanism, new membranes will be developed, capable of purifying and concentrating diverse targets chemicals from liquid and solid samples. These processes can take place during sample transportation to a centralised laboratory thus simplifying and streamlining analysis upon arrival to decrease drastically its costs.
Primary SupervisorMeet Prof Michael Breadmore
The successful applicant will receive a scholarship which provides:
- a living allowance stipend of $28,854 per annum (2022 rate, indexed annually) for 3.5 years
- a tuition fees offset covering the cost of tuition fees for up to four years (domestic applicants only)
International applicants will receive a University of Tasmania Fees Offset for up to four years.
Applicants should review the Higher Degree by Research minimum entry requirements.
The project is competitively assessed and awarded. Selection is based on academic merit and suitability to the project as determined by the College.
There is a three-step application process:
- Select your project, and check you meet the eligibility and selection criteria;
- Contact the Primary Supervisor, Prof Michael Breadmore to discuss your suitability and the project's requirements; and
- Submit an application by the closing date listed above.
- Copy and paste the title of the project from this advertisement into your application. If you don’t correctly do this your application may be rejected.
- As part of your application, you will be required to submit a covering letter, a CV including 2 x referees and your project research proposal.
Following the application closing date applications will be assessed within the College. Applicants should expect to receive notification of the outcome by email by the advertised outcome date.