25 September 2023
Domestic / International
$31,500pa for 3.5 years
About the research project
Grading of structural softwood for construction utilises sophisticated grading equipment including mechanical stress graders, x-rays, visual scanning, and laser tracking of grain of every sawn board produced. Much of this grading equipment has been developed internationally with a focus of stiffness grading or visual strength grading. The project will investigate methods of strength (weakness) prediction in grading of structural softwood appropriate for grading in industrial scale facilities in Australia with a view to improve value recovery whilst leading to safer outcomes in construction.
Primary SupervisorMeet Dr Assaad Taoum
The successful applicant will receive a scholarship which provides:
- a living allowance stipend funded by Wespine Industries Pty Ltd of $31,500 per annum (2023 rate, indexed annually) for 3.5 years
- a relocation allowance of up to $2,000
- a tuition fees offset covering the cost of tuition fees for up to four years (domestic applicants only)
If successful, international applicants will receive a University of Tasmania Fees Offset for up to four years.
As part of the application process you may indicate if you do not wish to be considered for scholarship funding.
If successful, applicants will also receive a top-up scholarship of $11,403 per annum, and operating funds of $5,000 per annum, for 3.5 years. Both the top-up and operating funds are funded by Wespine Industries Pty Ltd.
Other funding opportunities and fees
For further information regarding other scholarships on offer, and the various fees of undertaking a research degree, please visit our Scholarships and fees on research degrees page.
Applicants should review the Higher Degree by Research minimum entry requirements.
Ensure your eligibility for the scholarship round by referring to our Key Dates.
The project is competitively assessed and awarded. Selection is based on academic merit and suitability to the project as determined by the College.
Additional essential selection criteria specific to this project:
- A degree in civil, structural, mechanical, or agricultural engineering or a degree in forest science/forestry
Additional desirable selection criteria specific to this project:
- Work experience in timber design or manufacturing
- Select your project, and check that you meet the eligibility and selection criteria, including citizenship;
- Contact Dr Assaad Taoum to discuss your suitability and the project's requirements; and
- In your application:
- Copy and paste the title of the project from this advertisement into your application. If you don’t correctly do this your application may be rejected.
- Submit a signed supervisory support form, a CV including contact details of 2 referees and your project research proposal.
- Apply prior to 25 September 2023.
Following the closing date applications will be assessed within the College. Applicants should expect to receive notification of the outcome by email by the advertised outcome date.