ya pulingina (hello and welcome)
Riawunna Centre for Aboriginal Education acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and the Tasmanian Aboriginal community as the caretakers of lutruwita. The Riawunna team acknowledges that it is privilege to stand on Country and walk in the footsteps of those before us.
Welcome to the Riawunna Centre for Aboriginal Education, which is the support centre for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students at the University of Tasmania.
The team work within an Aboriginal cultural framework and aspire to create positive change for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people through educational experiences, supported through shared celebrations, culture and Community.
Riawunna provides a culturally welcoming space for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to study, access academic and cultural support, and be part of the University of Tasmania.
The Centre is a hub for students to meet, find help, advice, and gain access to a Community of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and staff.
Riawunna provides the following services and resources:
- Academic support and advice
- Assistance with applications for bursaries, scholarships and cadetships
- Cultural and social support
- murina Program
- Resource collection featuring Aboriginal literature and resources
- Computer labs
- Cultural spaces for studying and relaxing
Riawunna supports all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students at all levels of their academic career from murina to Postgraduate.
Riawunna's actions to support students are aligned to the following strategies:
- Strategic Policy for Aboriginal Engagement 2017-2020
- Academic Division Strategic Plan
- Our People Strategy 2019-2024