Project Leaders have been provided with a spreadsheet breaking down the type of room to assist with targeting research spaces for cLEAN Up across each Division and College. Speak to your Project Leader to provide guidance.
Ensure that when moving small, large or bulky items that you follow the Manual Task Guidelines It is extremely important not to lift or move any items without assessing the risk beforehand.
A similar process will apply as with Office cLEAN Up using the 6 LEAN Principles. Below is a list of actions suggested to be undertaken in your research spaces:
- Display the LEAN 6S Research poster (PDF 345.3 KB) in your research spaces ahead of 18th October
- Most research spaces will be high risk spaces requiring 3-monthly workplace inspections. Ensure you have a robust process in place to ensure these inspections occur.
- Consider purchasing shelving, storage tubs and signage to organise your research laboratories.
- Ensure safe storage principles (PDF 130.2 KB) are being followed.
- Ensure appropriate PPE is available to staff.
- Follow the Scientific Collections Guide (PPTX 343.5 KB)
- Ensure compliance with our Chemical Management procedures, including the hazardous waste disposals process.
- Review signage, and remove/refresh where appropriate (eg removing outdated COVID capacity signage).
- Take the opportunity to conduct Gemba walks around your research spaces.
- Ensure safe systems of work are functioning well for your research spaces. Do you have current safety data sheets available?
- Ensure you have current, trained first aiders and building wardens to cover your research spaces. Are they aware of the special risks within the research spaces they are responsible for?
Laboratory Salamanca - Before and After
Beaker in Cupboard
Beakers organised in plastic tubs within cupboards