There is incident, accident and injury procedures and student insurance information available at UTAS Work Health and Safety Student Information.
Accidents or injuries on Field Education Placements
- Placement agencies have obligations to students under the Work Health and Safety Act 2012. Students undertaking Field Education Placement should act in accordance with the individual agencies workplace policy and procedure in the event of an accident or injury occurring.
- Students who experience an injury where treatment is required from a medical practitioner, must ensure that costs are met via payment by Medicare Card. Workers Compensation does not apply to students undertaking Field Education Placement.
- In the event that a student experiences an accident or injury while on Field Education Placement, the student must follow the incident/injury reporting procedures within the particular workplace and ensure the incident/injury has been reported as soon as practicable to the Field Education Officer (FEO) in their region. The student must also complete a University of Tasmania Online Incident Notification. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Personal Accident Insurance
- The University of Tasmania's insurance program provides cover for students whilst undertaking unpaid Work Integrated Learning placements (including Field Education Placement) approved by the University.
Note: Workers Compensation does not apply to students undertaking Field Education Placement.
- The Insurance program includes coverage of non-Medicare expenses, but does not cover any out-of-pocket costs from the Medicare refund/gap payment.
- The Tasmanian University Union (TUU) manage the claim process for the student personal accident insurance policy and the state-wide contact person is the TUU Northern Services Manager, who can be contacted on (03) 6324 3777.
Safety in Practice Kit 2019
All students undertaking field experience in social work, at the University of Tasmania (UTAS) are bound by the University Safe to Practice Policy (PDF 113.8KB). In order for students to undertake field experience, there are mandatory requirements to be completed before students can enter a social work agency. For full details of Compliance tasks please refer to Eligibility & Preparation.