Applications for 2021 Are Now Open
Who can apply?
- Applications are open to any full-time or part-time (domestic or international) continuing or new student of the University of Tasmania (UTAS) or a UTAS affiliated institution.
- Domestic students under 18 years old can apply. When you have accepted our Offer of Accommodation, we will provide you with further documentation seeking acknowledgement from your parents or legal guardian.
- International students under 18 years old can apply for homestay opportunities.
Application open dates
- Applications for the following year usually open on our Open Day, around the end of August. Semester 2 applications open in early April.
- Applications are processed in order of the date we receive them. We recommend applying as early as possible.
Accommodation contract periods
The standard lease terms for our accommodation (except Hobart Apartments) are:
- 42 weeks for a full academic year
- 21 weeks for a single semester
For Hobart Apartments, the minimum lease term is 50 weeks, up to 52 weeks.
- Residents are required to re-apply every year.
Application consideration process
- We consider every application individually and look at what will be the best fit.
- We have specific guidelines for room allocations. We aim to have equal numbers of males and females, as well as a mixture of nationalities in each building and apartment. As generally there are a lot of changes leading up to the beginning of a semester, we do not finalise your room allocation until your check-in day.
- Create an account on our Resident Portal by clicking on the relevant box below.
- Complete an online application form on the Resident Portal
- Select an accommodation option on the campus where you will be studying.
- You can nominate three accommodation preferences. We will do our best to accommodate your preferences.
- When you have completed your application, you will be given an application number and password. You will need these details to check on the progress of your application.
- Successful applicants will be emailed an Offer of Accommodation. This email will outline the procedure to accept your offer.
- To accept your offer of accommodation, log in to the Resident Portal, accept your offer, and process payments for a holding fee (AUD $150) and a security deposit (AUD $500). Offers not accepted by the deadline noted in your email to accept your offer, will lapse and may be offered to another applicant.
- Once you have accepted your offer via the online Student Living Resident Portal, you will receive an email confirming your accommodation with us. Once the above process is completed, a room will be reserved for you.
National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS)
Some of our accommodation options fall under the National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS). NRAS is an Australian Government initiative that aims to address the shortage of affordable rental accommodation by offering a financial incentive to accommodation providers. As a result of obtaining NRAS funding, the University of Tasmania is able to offer its apartments at 25% below market rate. See our NRAS FAQs for more information on NRAS eligibility requirements. Please note that NRAS accommodation require additional application steps.
Australian Maritime College Students
If you are attending a course at the Australian Maritime College that is classed as a Seafaring Course - for example, Deck watchkeeper, PreSea, Chief Mate Master, Chief Engineer - or if your course does not run from 17 February to mid-November, please apply online using the links below. Once you have registered an account, you will have the option of applying for “AMC Seafaring Vocational Courses”.
Frequently asked questions
I have submitted my application. Can I change my residence preferences?
Yes. To change your residence preferences or any information in your application, submit a request via Contact Us. To assist with your requests, also include your full name and application ID. We will update your application accordingly.
Do you offer single-gender residences?
While most of our accommodation residences are co-educational, we can cater for single-gender areas within an accommodation building. We are unable to guarantee that you will receive the accommodation of your choice, we will do our best to accommodate your request. Please specify this requirement in your online application.
Can my partner live with me?
No. We only offer accommodation for single occupancy. Partners can apply for accommodation provided they are also students who are enrolled at UTAS. Couples will be provided with an individual room each. Requests to stay in neighbouring rooms cannot be guaranteed.
I submitted my application late. Will I still get an offer for accommodation?
If all our accommodation has been fully reserved, your application will be placed on a waiting list. If a room becomes available, we may be able to offer it to you.
I have changed my mind. Can I withdraw my application?
Yes. Please inform us via Contact Us, including your full name and application ID.
Questions about your application or account?
The Accommodation Services Team works 8:30am to 5:00pm Monday-Friday. Contact Us.