Skip to content

Ordinance and Procedure

Ordinance 9 – Student Academic Integrity

Ordinance 9 – Student Academic Integrity outlines the University of Tasmania’s position and processes for protecting the integrity of the University and the qualifications it offers. The Ordinance sets out the University’s definitions and examples of breaches of academic integrity. It defines and makes clear for students the consequences of breaches of academic integrity.

How does the University manage breach allegations?

Ordinance 9 explains the procedure for reporting, investigating, hearing and making determinations on academic integrity breach allegations. All breaches of academic integrity will be reported for breach investigation and management. Academic Integrity Advisers have responsibility for advising on, investigating and making decisions related to alleged breaches.

What happens when a breach is identified?

The following procedure applies when a breach of academic integrity is identified:

  • A Tutor/Lecturer/Assessor/Exam Invigilator or Supervisor will complete the relevant sections of an Academic Integrity Breach Report and forward it to an Academic Integrity Adviser with relevant supporting documentation
  • The Adviser will decide whether to proceed with a formal allegation of a breach of academic integrity
  • If the Adviser decides that a formal allegation will proceed, an allegation letter will be sent to the student within 10 working days. The letter will outline the details of the allegation and the range of possible sanctions that could be imposed if no additional information is provided
  • The student will be invited to attend a meeting with the Adviser and/or make a written statement
  • If the student does not reply within 10 working days, the Adviser may make a decision based on the submitted supporting documentation alone
  • Following the meeting, (or if the student does not reply, or if the student provides a written statement instead of attending a meeting in person), the Adviser will make a timely determination and assign a breach level (i.e. low, intermediate, high)
  • Once a determination is reached, including where no breach is found, the Adviser will notify the student in writing

What happens if I disagree with a determination and sanction?

If you disagree with the determination and sanction from an Academic Integrity Adviser you have the right to make an appeal application by completing the Student Appeal Application form (SA1) within 10 working days of receiving the original determination letter.

Your appeal application should outline the basis for your appeal (see Ordinance 9 – Student Academic Integrity, clause 4.1.3). You should email a completed Student Appeal Application form (SA1), a statement outlining the basis of your appeal, the original determination letter and any other supporting documents/information to the relevant College Associate Dean, Learning and Teaching.

The Ordinance 9 appeals process is a two-part process. If it is decided there are grounds for your appeal, a College Appeals Panel will meet to consider your appeal. However, if it is determined that your application does not have reasonable grounds, your appeal will not progress. The reason for this determination will be communicated to you. You will be advised as soon as possible of the outcome of your appeal application. A College-level appeal may only be requested once for a particular breach.

If your appeal application progresses to be heard by a College Appeals Panel, they must make a decision within 15 working days of receiving the appeal application. The decision of the College Appeals Panel is final.

Frequently Asked Questions

If you receive a breach allegation letter, it should include:

  • A clear outline of the nature of the breach allegation
  • All supporting documentation related to the breach allegation. This might be a copy of your assignment with problematic sections highlighted (e.g. a Turnitin report) or a copy of an exam invigilator report
  • An invitation to attend a meeting with an Academic Integrity Adviser and an opportunity to make a statement in writing, as well specific timelines for these responses;
  • Name and contact details of the Academic Integrity Adviser that will be investigating the allegation
  • Inclusion of, or reference to, the sanctions that can be applied for the alleged breach level under Ordinance 9 – Student Academic Integrity

You should respond by attending a meeting with an Academic Integrity Adviser or submitting a statement in writing. You are encouraged to attend the meeting in person or via Skype, Facetime, Google Duo etc. At the meeting you should explain your version of events and outline any mitigating circumstances that you feel should be taken into consideration. The Academic Integrity Adviser may also ask any questions they regard as relevant to the investigation.

You are permitted to take a support person with you to the meeting such as a Tasmanian University Union (TUU) Student Advocate (, friend or family member.  This support person is not allowed to speak on your behalf and must not interrupt the meeting.

If you choose to attend a meeting, an Academic Integrity Adviser should arrange to do so within 10 working days of you receiving an academic integrity breach allegation letter. If you do not respond to the allegation letter within 10 working days (by attending a meeting or submitting a written statement), the Adviser may make a decision based on the submitted supporting documentation alone. If there is any delay in the process, an email explaining the reasons for the postponement will be sent to you.

You should provide any evidence that you have available to you that would allow the Academic Integrity Adviser to make a fair and considered determination. It is not essential that you collect further evidence if you cannot provide any. An Adviser can make a determination based on the supporting documentation that has been forwarded from a relevant staff member (e.g. Tutor/Lecturer/Unit Coordinator/Exam Supervisor).

If you still disagree you may choose to seek advice from the Tasmanian State Ombudsman or other relevant external agency.

Contact a Student Adviser in your College, International Student Adviser ( or or a Tasmanian University Union (TUU) Student Advocate (