Student Learning Advisers provide a range of workshops to develop English language and academic learning and study skills. Our workshops are open to all students studying at the University of Tasmania. Workshops are run regularly for students on the Hobart, Launceston, Cradle Coast and Sydney campuses.
In Hobart, there are weekly Speak English with Confidence workshops which focus on fluency and everyday Australian social/conversational English.
A series of Recharge your English webinars focus on grammar accuracy and sentence structure, and are open to all students. Examples of these workshops include:
- Recharge your English: Clearer sentences
- Recharge your English: Better grammar
- Recharge your English: Greater vocabulary
- Recharge your English: Stronger paragraphs
Student Learning Advisers also provide some course-embedded workshops with a discipline-specific English language and communication focus, in collaboration with discipline academics.
The English language workshops are complemented by a suite of academic learning and study skills workshops that are also available to students. Many of the workshops are designed and delivered with a learning pedagogy that has a focus on English language literacy. Examples of workshops include:
- Achieve your best in assignment writing
- Write clearly without plagiarism
- Group work strategies
- Presentation skills
- Editing and proofreading
- Exam skills - study tips and ideas
- A practical guide to research
- A practical guide to referencing
- Reflective writing
- Database searching: the basics
- Academic reading
Register for the online and campus-based workshops available in 2019.
Note, many of the online workshops are recorded and are available, view our recent online workshops.
Visit Ask Us for answers to all your questions as a student at the University of Tasmania