Published: 21 Mar 2022
Tasmanian dairy farmers are being recognised for their excellence in dairy business management as finalists in the 2022 Tasmanian Dairy Awards.
The Dairy Business of the Year Award is conducted by the Tasmanian Institute of Agriculture (TIA) as part of the DairyHIGH-2 project which is funded by Dairy Australia and TIA.
The finalists of the 2022 ANZ Dairy Business of the Year Award are:
- Ashburton – located in Dairy Plains, owned by Australian Dairy Pastures (FarmRight), and managed by Francesco Fornari
- Janefield – located in Meander, owned, and managed by Brian and Michele Lawrence
- The Avenue – located in Parkham, owned by Australian Dairy Pastures (FarmRight), and managed by Pradeep Badavath (Jesse Weaver was the manager in 2020/21)
- Woodrising Dairies – located in Cressy, owned by Compass Tas Dairy Operations, and managed by Troy Ainslie
The four finalists were selected out of a group of more than 36 Tasmanian dairy farm businesses who provided benchmarking data for the 2020-21 financial year.
This year each of the dairy farm business finalists is milking more than 500 cows and all highlighted the importance of their team in helping them achieve their success. Pasture management was also a strong focus on each of the farms as was animal health.
The judges for this year’s award are James Greenacre, manager of Rosemount Ag Pty Ltd - which won the 2021 ANZ Tasmanian Dairy Business of the Year Award, and Lesley Irvine, TIA.
“It was great to visit each of the finalists and see the focus on ensuring their people have a good work environment, the opportunity to develop, and a good work-life balance,” said Lesley Irvine, TIA’s Dairy Extension Team Leader.
“Each of the finalists also exhibited a high standard of pasture management with all farms undertaking regular pasture measurement to assist with their decision making.
“Sustainability was also a key focus on each farm businesses.”
A second dairy business award, the 2022 Fonterra Share Dairy Farmer of the Year Award, will be presented by TIA as part of the Tasmanian Dairy Awards.
The two Tasmanian dairy business awards organised by TIA as part of the DairyHIGH2 project are part of a larger awards program organised by DairyTas.
Six DairyTas awards will also be presented as part of the Tasmanian Dairy Awards:
- 2022 Fonterra Dairy Employee of the Year Award
- 2022 Aurora Energy Employer of Choice Award
- 2022 Mondelez Young Dairy Farmer Encouragement Award
- 2022 NRM North Dairy Environmental Award
- 2022 Saputo Dairy Farm Safety
- Tasmanian Dairy Service Award, sponsored by Elphinstone Stevens
The winner of the 2022 Tasmanian Dairy Awards, will be announced at a special on-farm Awards lunch on Thursday, March 24, to be held at Rosemount Agriculture Pty Ltd, 765 Green Rises Rd. Cressy.
This will replace the annual Tasmanian Dairy Conference and Tasmanian Dairy Awards dinner that was cancelled due to Covid-19.
To capture images and interviews it is suggested that media attend between 1.30-3.30pm.