Published: 24 Jun 2019
Sustainable Dairying Update
Rachel Brown, Sustainable Dairying Adviser, DairyTas
Tamar Action Grants
The NRM North Tamar Action Grants program is investing $10 million in on-ground catchment works to improve water quality in the Tamar River, specifically to reduce pathogen concentrations in the Launceston to Legana area. Landholders in the catchments draining to the Tamar (including North & South Esk, Meander, Macquarie) are being encouraged to undertake projects to exclude stock from waterways and to improve effluent management. The area being covered represents 15% of the Tasmania’s land area.
Find out more: https://www.nrmnorth.org.au/tamar-action-grants/
Dairy Effluent Focus
NRM North is partnering with DairyTas over the next 2.5 years in the delivery of dairy landholder engagement and on-ground investments, including cows out of creeks projects and effluent upgrades. Investments for effluent projects will include innovative management approaches, extension of effluent storages and extension of effluent irrigation areas.
A further aspect of dairy industry involvement is delivery of an effluent extension program. We hope this is an opportunity to “raise the bar” not only within the NRM North region, but also statewide.
Farmer feedback is currently being sought on a proposed Effluent Extension Program including:
- Effluent Expo (Tasmania) 2020 & 2022
- Farm field days, discussion groups and farmer case studies to show case best practice effluent management
- “Ready to Go, Keep it Low” messaging
- Producing effluent system safety signs - free for farmers
- Assisting farmers with updating Effluent Management Plans
- Developing templates for standard operating procedures for effluent systems so staff are aware how the system was designed and intended to operate
- Professional development for farmers and service providers around best practice effluent management and innovative technologies with a trip to Effluent Expo in New Zealand http://www.effluentexpo.co.nz/ (November 2020)
- Updating the Nutrients from Effluent and Sludge Calculator with Tas data
- Ongoing updates and reprinting of existing effluent resources, including updates to DairyTas website with effluent and Fert$mart fact sheets
- Professional development and training for effluent designers
Please contact DairyTas Sustainable Dairying Adviser, Rachel Brown on 0409 333 381 with any feedback or suggestions.