|Current Member||Name||Term Expires|
|Chair||Mr James Groom||31 December 2023|
|Chancellor||Ms Alison Watkins||Ex officio|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Rufus Black||Ex officio|
|Chair, Audit and Risk Committee||Mr Harvey Gibson||Ex officio|
|Up to two members of Council||Professor Peter Dawkins|
Ms Tara Howell
|31 December 2023|
31 December 2023
|Up to two external members appointed by Council|
Chair of UTAS Properties Pty Ltd
Chair Investment Advisory Panel
Mr Paul Gregg
Mr Daniel Minihan
|Secretary||Mr Rick Inglis|
Additional attendees including executive management representatives or other experts, external to the University may be invited with the Chair’s permission, to speak to specific agenda items, as necessary.
Terms of Reference
The Strategic Resourcing Committee provides advice to Council in relation to the strategic and coordinated deployment of physical, financial and human resources in order to achieve medium and longer-term strategies that support the University’s mission.
The Committee will consider and advise Council on:
- the status of the University’s longer-term resourcing plan and its linkage to current University strategies
- resourcing implications of strategies and major projects that are expected to emerge across a 6 -12 month horizon
- resourcing implications of immediate issues posing a strategic opportunity or threat
- any other strategic resourcing matters as requested by Council
- the structure and content of financial reporting and modelling provided to Council, to ensure it is sufficient and appropriate for Council to fulfil its responsibilities in oversighting the financial performance of the University.
The Committee may be called on to convene as required to advise, consider, and provide counsel on immediate issues impacting the strategic direction of the University and/or events/issues that have significant resource implications.
Guidance on issues to be considered by the Committee
The SRC will provide an integrated, strategic and whole of University perspective in considering the deployment of resources in accordance with the longer-term strategic direction for the University.
The establishment of the SRC is intended to facilitate consideration of how the University deploys its resources (particularly operating budget, investments, property portfolio and people) in a coordinated way to deliver on the University’s strategies and achieve its mission over the longer term. Examples of the issues that the SRC would be expected to consider include:
- Oversight of the Financial Masterplan (5+ years) implementation process to ensure the University has suitable plans in place to access sustainable cashflows through the period of campus transformations (and beyond)
- Oversight of the implementation of any future associated entities including evaluation of a Future Fund.
- Annual reviews of the Strategic Plan and Financial Masterplan, to enable consideration of how the longer-term resourcing plan translates into annual budgets and plans
- Campus masterplans and proposals for major capital projects (+$50m) to enable longer term resourcing implications to be considered and coordinated
- Major initiatives and proposals that impact on the balance sheet, exceed V-C delegations and/or involve changes to mode of delivery (this could include large-scale research partnerships like the Newnham Defence Precinct or the Blue Economy CRC, new campus locations like the Sydney International School, and creation of new enterprises)
- Emerging strategic threats or opportunities which may have a significant impact on the University’s resources (like the impact of COVID-19)
- Capital management plans and performance, including in relation to debt, equity, funding costs and compliance with financial undertakings
- Frameworks for the University’s organising model, remuneration principles, and development and succession planning for critical academic and management roles*
- Overall people resourcing levels and structures (such as the balance of permanent/casual or academic/professional resources)
(* implementation of these frameworks to be managed through Remuneration and Nominations Committee)
Meeting Dates and Submissions
For all University Council and Committee meeting dates, please refer to the Planning Calendar.
Please discuss any proposed submissions for the committee with the Secretary to the Strategic Resourcing Committee, Rick Inglis.