Andrew Inglis Clark was born in Hobart in 1848.
His father, Alexander Clark, was a Scottish engineer who arrived
in the colony in 1832, and was responsible for the design and construction
of a flour mill at Port Arthur. Though transportation came to an
end in 1853, Clark grew up in a community which had by no means
shaken off its origins as a penal colony.
Clark's mother, Ann.
Clark's father, Alexander.
Educated at Hobart High School, he at first seemed
destined to work in the family firm. Though he disappointed his
fathers expectations by embarking, at the age of twenty-four,
on a legal career, Clark drew deeply on the influences of a sober,
industrious, civic-minded and God-fearing family. In 1878 he married
Grace Ross, and had five sons and two daughters. He was very much
a family man. In later years the door of his study was always open
for his children.
Clark's family home in Collins Street,
Hobart, around 1890,
between Harrington and Barrack Streets, since demolished.
This was the Clark family home in
Liverpool Street in Hobart in the 1850s