Oct 1, 2018 9:00 am
Oct 3, 2018 11:00 am
Call-out for participants in an art-sound experiment.
Join artist local sounds artist Matt Warren in a series of sound workshops
The workshops will introduce the idea of sound as an art form, not just simply music or voices in a movie that tells a story. Over 4 hour session, a group of participants (ages 10 - 16) will develop skills on iMacs using Audacity, a Free, open source, cross-platform audio software. The participants will focus on hands-on experimental and innovative sound workshops.
- The session will focus on listening and recording, focus on manipulating and preparing sounds, and installing and exhibiting participants' final sound recordings in the Plimsoll Garden area (weather permitting).
Participants will engage with the Hobart waterfront and surrounding historical buildings to explore both the natural and built environment through a sound walk, documenting and collect the sound elements using field recordings to create a sound composition or soundscape.
Participants must be available to come to the Plimsoll for the full length of the workshop over the 4-hour session.
Wednesday Oct 3, 10:00am - 2:20pm
Thursday Oct 4, 10:00am - 2:20pm
- Parents must sign a consent to participate form upon arrival.
- Casual, comfortable, warm clothes to be worn.
- An introduction to sound and a discussion around the idea of sound as an art form, not just simply music or voices in a movie that tells a story will be given at the start of the session. No prior artistic skills necessary.
- Some sound experiments will involve recording voices and other sounds and then manipulating them digitally
- Participants will move around the site conducting field recordings.
- Please be aware that the final sound work will be installed and exhibited at the end of the workshops sessions.
- Lunch not provided. Participants are encouraged to bring lunch and a drink bottle.
- BOOKING essential due to limited numbers.
Matt Warren is a Hobart-based electronic media artist, musician, curator, radio presenter and writer.
His practice encompasses immersive electronic installation, sound works and single channel video.
His music and sound practice has a basis in both composition and improvisation. He is interested in the results of chance combination and random actions, referencing processes and ideas of John Cage, William S. Burroughs, Brian Eno and at times utilises nonsensical or portmanteau texts. The works investigate memory, transcendence, liminal spaces and suspension of disbelief and Warren considers his practice as part of a greater context currently aligned to neo-psychedelia, digital abstraction and hauntology.
He records and performs live solo and with collaborative music projects and has performed as part of the Damo Suzuki Network and the Hobart Improv Collective. He also regularly produces sound works, installation and video as part of the Unconscious Collective.
He has undertaken sound-based residencies with Jean-Yves Thériault in Montreal, Canada and with Damo Suzuki in Köln, Germany and produced sounds works that have been presented in Australia, New Zealand, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain and the USA.
As a curator Matt has produced the 2012 sound exhibition In A Silent Way for CAST Gallery, Hobart, the 2013 video & sound exhibition Ghost Hunters for the Plimsoll Gallery and the 2015 sound and light exhibition Envelop(e) for Dark Mofo at CAT Gallery as well as co-curating/compiling the 2 volumed, Tasmanian-based compilations of experimental music and sound called 'Convergence' on Rough Skies records.
Are there ID or minimum age requirements to enter the event?
ages 10 - 16 - Parents must sign a consent to participate form upon arrival.
What can I bring into the event?
Casual, comfortable, warm clothes.
Participants are welcome to download Audacity, a Free, open source, cross-platform audio software prior to attending.
How can I contact the organiser with any questions?