Our beachside Sandy Bay campus is located five minutes' drive south of the city centre.
In addition to purpose-built teaching and learning facilities, this campus has a range of on-site amenities and resources, many of which are located in the Tasmanian University Student Association (TUSA) building on Churchill Avenue.
The Hedberg is one of Tasmania’s most ambitious arts projects to date. The building houses purpose-built, soundproof and digitally-equipped rehearsal and practice rooms, an integrated multi-room recording suite, and two key performance spaces – the Recital Hall and the Salon – as well as sound-stages and broadcast capacities.
Institute of Marine and Antarctic Studies (IMAS)
Located on Hobart’s waterfront, IMAS combines Tasmania's strengths in marine and Antarctic studies in one precinct, offering opportunities for collaborative research of state, national and international significance.
The building provides world-class teaching and research facilities for around 300 students and staff.
Medical Science Precinct
In the heart of Hobart CBD, the Medical Science Precinct (MSP) accommodates research facilities for our Menzies Research Institute, our School of Medicine and the Royal Hobart Hospital.
Creative Arts Precinct
Our vibrant creative precinct brings together artists across Fine Arts, Design, Media, Music, and Theatre and Performance. Hone your creativity in the fully-converted, late-19th Century space that is the iconic Jones & Co. IXL jam factory.
The precinct is also home to the Plimsoll Gallery and Entrepôt, which is an arts supply store, and a café.
The Media School
Located in Salamanca, our Media School shares space with Hobart’s leading media organisations. You’ll find yourself rubbing shoulders with practitioners from news, communications, and other screen organisations.
Other learning venues
In addition to our main Hobart campuses, classes are also taught in smaller dedicated facilities around the city.
At Student Living, you have the chance to live right in the heart of the action. You'll access affordable rent and a community of creative and curious minds.
Our Fountainside, Midcity and Hobart Apartments offer all the conveniences and attractions of city living. For those seeking a little more tranquility, Sandy Bay is an oasis of calm, less than 10 minutes from the city.
Services and facilities
In addition to purpose-built teaching and learning facilities, the Sandy Bay campus in Hobart has a range of onsite amenities and resources, many of which are located in the Tasmanian University Student Association (TUSA) building on Churchill Avenue.
- The Commonwealth Bank has a branch in the TUSA Building. The bank is open Monday to Thursday, 9:30am-4pm.
- There are also two ATMs on campus that accept all major bank cards.
- Lazenby's Café - A bistro-style licensed cafe in the centre of the Sandy Bay campus. Coffee and breakfast is available from 8am week days.
- Suzy Lee Café - Located in the Union Building, the Ref has had a makeover to become Suzy Lee, offering a range of Asian-inspired dishes such as dumplings, banh mi, sushi and even bubble tea. There is also a hot chip stand, and the barista bar which offers coffee, cakes and sandwiches.
Phone: +61 3 6226 7689
- Uni Bar - The Uni Bar is a licensed venue and a great place to wind down after a hard day at uni. The Uni Bar has a selection of beer and cider on tap and is located in the Union Building.
Phone: +61 3 6226 2711
- Trade Table Café - Located on the lower ground floor of the Centenary Building, the Trade Table offers sushi, salads, soup, sandwiches, cakes and slices, confectionery and a range of hot and cold drinks.
Phone: +61 3 6226 1544
- Greens - Greens is located beside Lazenby's Cafe, and offers a range of fresh smoothies and healthy snacks.
- Pepperz Café Bar Restaurant - Located beside Accommodation Services at the top of College Road, Pepperz serves tasty, low cost meals 7 days per week. Pepperz has great views of the Derwent River and features indoor and outdoor seating. Refer to the Pepperz Menu (Facebook).
- University Staff Club - The University Club is in Dobson Road on the Sandy Bay campus and is open to members and their guests for morning tea and lunch. The club also has private function rooms and a catering service is available.
- Source Wholefoods - Source Wholefoods is a not-for-profit grocery store and cafe selling a wide range of local and organic produce. Source Wholefoods is located at 12 French St, Sandy Bay, just behind the TUSA Building.
Opening hours: 8am-3pm Wednesday - Friday
Phone: +61 3 6224 0055
- The Library has a huge range of printed and electronic information resources to help you with your studies. There are five University libraries in Hobart: the Morris Miller and Law libraries on the Sandy Bay campus, and the Clinical, Carington Smith Library in Hobart city.
- Some library learning hubs offer 24-hour access. However, access to the libraries varies depending on the academic year. Please check the current Library opening hours.
- The University Shop and Post Office sells a range of items including newspapers and magazines, personal items, snacks and Metro bus tickets. The shop also provides postal services through Australia Post, dry cleaning, passport photos and academic gown hire.