Need help? In a life-threatening emergency call 000, then call University Security on 03 6226 7600 (all locations)
Contacting the University Security Service
- You can contact the University Security Service for assistance at any time on 03 6226 7600 (all campuses/locations).
- In an emergency situation you should always call Tasmanian Emergency Services on 000. Immediately after this please contact the University Security Service as we may be closer to respond and we can also activate any other emergency personnel that may be needed.
Security monitoring and mobile patrols
- The University Security Service has trained security staff that operate 24 hours a day from a central control room for all campuses and we also operate 24 hours a day with mobile and vehicle patrols.
- The job of the University Security Service is to ensure the safety and security of our community and its property across all campuses and sites. To do this we use CCTV cameras, monitor alarms and react to any situations required.
- If you feel unsafe, or need to report an incident call 03 6226 7600 and our University Security Service will assist.
Book a security escort
If you feel unsafe moving about the campus then the University Security Service is available to escort you to locations on campus in specific instances. This service is free of charge and is available to all students and staff. It’s always best to plan ahead to ensure we can provide this service. You can book this service by contacting 6226 7600.
There are a number of Help Points across campuses. Location details are available on UniMaps or by accessing the following links:
These can be activated at the press of a button. You'll be immediately put through to the University Security Service. We'll dispatch a mobile patrol to you if required.
Door alarms and unlocks
- If you require onsite attendance to unlock a door, please call 03 6226 7600 or email the team at email@example.com.
- Alarms are monitored 24 hours a day. If you require a change to an alarm, please email the team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Key requests or changes to existing access are made via a staff form on ServiceNow.
Building access and keys
In addition to being your primary form of University identification, your staff or student card also provides swipe card access for University buildings and facilities. Both can be obtained online through UConnect:
Staff ID cards
As well as applying online, on weekdays staff can have a photo taken and collect a staff ID card from one of following locations and at the following times:
- Sandy Bay campus: Morris Miller Library IT desk, 11:00am-1:00pm
- Newnham campus: Security office, Queen Elizabeth Walk, 11:00am - 12:00noon
- West Park campus: Field Building reception, 8:45am - 5:00pm
- The University Security Service works closely with the Safe and Fair Community Unit (SaFCU) which provides support, advice and information to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our University community
- We also work closely with partners such as Student Life and Enrichment and Student Living to understand risks and identify appropriate response mechanisms.
SafeZone mobile app
As part of our commitment to personal safety, the University uses the SafeZone app. SafeZone allows you to quickly request assistance from the University Security team. When you request assistance, University Security Services will be notified of your location and details to allow us to get the right assistance to you.