University venues available for hire are currently limited and subject to reduced capacity to comply with density limits.
If you are interested in hiring a University venue please submit your enquiry (as per the instructions below) and your request will be considered in light of venue restrictions. Please note that a venue cannot be guaranteed.
Hire of University venues is subject to hirers complying with all University requirements as they relate to COVID-19 safety including hirers being required to provide a COVID-19 Safety Plan for the event.
The Sandy Bay campus and the Centre for the Arts in Hobart, and the Newnham campus in Launceston have designated venues available for hire. Most venues are available for hire after hours, on weekends and during semester break periods. Some venues may be available during the day, depending on the University timetable.
Venues include lecture theatres with contemporary audio visual equipment, seminar rooms and foyer spaces. On-site catering can be arranged for most venues if required. Venues are suitable for public lectures, training workshops and presentations, award ceremonies, conferences and concerts.
How to book a venue
Infrastructure Services & Development (ISD) via the Shared Services team, is responsible for booking CMLS (centrally managed learning space) for all approved purposes other than unit related timetabled teaching activities or University examinations.
All venues are hired in accordance with the University's Venue Hire Procedure. To hire a University venue:
- Contact ISD via the Shared Services team to find out the availability of rooms on the date you require.
- Submit a contract for hire document (PDF 251.9KB) (external customers and TUSA-affiliated clubs and societies) or the online venue request form (internal hirers only, not including TUSA-affiliated clubs and societies) to Campus Services.
- Complete the University venue safety induction online (see below), if you haven't already done so.
Venues for hire
Hire fees for University venues
- List of fees for external hirers (PDF 24.2KB)
- List of fees for Tasmanian University Student Association (TUSA) affiliated clubs and societies (PDF 22.2KB)
- Contract for hire of University venues (PDF 72.2KB) (for external hirers, including TUSA-affiliated clubs and societies)
- Online venue request form (for internal hirers only, not including TUSA-affiliated clubs and societies)
- Liquor permit application form (PDF 76KB)
- Exhibition space agreement form (PDF 104.9KB) (For non-University sponsored exhibitions)
Council requirements for selling food
If you wish to sell food at your event, you may need to comply with a range of local Council regulations.
Each council has a website which provides advice on things you need to know about operating a food premise as well the requirements for selling pre packed foods at food stalls, markets and fairs. Note: TUSA affiliated societies do not need to apply for a food permit if their functions are within the Hobart City Council's municipal area.
Venue safety induction
The person responsible for the function will need to complete the online safety induction for UTAS venues.