Skip to content

FAQs and Permits

If you're looking to book a venue with us, here are a few things you might like to know before booking or as part of organising your event.

Please be aware that all University venues are hired in accordance with our:

It’s a good idea to give these a read and make sure you’re comfortable with them prior to contacting us about a potential booking.

Familiarisation sessions

If you need a familiarisation session on the AV equipment available for use in your booked venue, the University can offer a complimentary 20-minute session.

These sessions are by appointment only and held during the University’s normal business hours. You can confirm your preferred days and times on the Contract for Hire.

Onsite AV support

If you need a bit more support and would like onsite AV support during your event/booking, this may also be provided at your cost by the University’s IT Services area or an IT Services-approved service provider.

Prior arrangement with the Shared Services team is required as part of the booking process.  Please be aware that minimum time charges will apply.

Sandy Bay, Newnham and West Park campuses

If you'll be on campus during the day, you and your attendees will need pay for visitors parking. Parking tickets are available from the designated ticket machines or you can use the EasyPark app.

Parking on campus is generally free after 6:00pm on weekdays, and all-day Saturday and Sunday in zones marked with white or blue parking discs, but please pay close attention to parking signage as some areas are reserved and access bays.

Please note parking on verges is prohibited.

Other sites

Other University sites are supported by local council carparks. Please pay close attention to parking signage for specific parking requirements and rates.

Find out more about parking on campus

After-hours bookings of university venues (weekdays after 6:00pm or anytime on weekends) will require the attendance of a University security officer for the duration of the hire period. The number of security officers will be determined by Shared Services in consultation with University Security.

Depending on the nature of the event, the University may also require security staff to be present for some venue hire functions held during business hours. This will be confirmed as part of the booking process.

If your event will be catered, you will normally be expected to arrange catering with the University’s participating on-campus caterers. Our onsite caterers can accommodate a range of events and functions of all sizes and can cater for most dietary requirements.

If you choose to engage one of our onsite outlets you can rest assured that, with a permanent presence on campus, they know the University better than most!

If you’re planning to sell food at your event rather than engage a food business to do this for you, you may need to comply with local Council regulations relating to the sale of food.

Each council has a website which provides advice on operating a food business as well the requirements for temporary/one-off events (e.g. selling pre-packed foods at food stalls, markets and fairs).

Note: TUSA-affiliated clubs and societies do not need to apply for a food permit if their functions are within the City of Hobart’s municipal area.

In accordance with University by-laws, a person shall not distribute or consume any liquor on University land except where a licence or permit has been obtained under the Liquor and Accommodation Act 1990, or where a liquor permit has been obtained from Infrastructure Service and Development (see liquor permit application details below).

How to obtain a liquor permit

For TUSA-affiliated clubs and societies: go to the TUSA liquor permit application page.

For all other applicants:

Step 1: If liquor is to be sold and/or an entry fee charged and alcohol served, first you need to apply for a Commissioner for Licensing Special Liquor permit

Step 2: Then apply for a University liquor permit via the Liquor Permit Application form  (attach the above special liquor permit if alcohol is to be sold at the event).

Conditions for the issuing of liquor permits

Liquor permits will not be approved for functions which may disrupt the teaching and research activities of the University, or which may in any way embarrass the University. The liquor permit may be altered or revoked at any time by the University.

If your event is not directly affiliated with the University, you will need approval to use the University of Tasmania name and branding before your event is organised. This includes making any statement in any advertisement that directly or indirectly implies that your event is being conducted by or promoted by the University.

Please contact the University’s Marketing team, with details of your event and a background of the organisation or group of people running the event.

Please note that the University of Tasmania is a smoke-free environment and smoking is not permitted in any buildings on campus or outside designated smoking areas on campus grounds.

If you’re organising a community event, or an event involving food vans or loud music in one of our outdoor campus spaces, you may need an approved local council place of assembly licence as part of our venue hire process.