1. Conditions and Agreement
- The term ‘Hirer’ will include the applicant/user’s organisation.
- The University agrees to hire to the Hirer the venue(s) and facilities together with the equipment in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of Hire set out in the Contract for Hire of University Venues and any attached additional documents.
- The Hirer agrees to be bound by the Terms and Conditions of Hire and by any additional conditions which the University may notify to the Hirer prior to the commencement of hire.
- The Hirer is responsible for ensuring the suitability of the venue prior to the nominated hire date/time. If the Hirer deems the venue unsuitable, the hirer shall contact Campus Services with any concerns prior to the hire date/time.
2. Responsible Delegate
Unless agreed to the contrary in writing, the Hirer must nominate an attendant aged 18 years or older who will be present for the duration of the function and who will take responsibility to ensure compliance with statutory safety requirements and the Terms and Conditions of Hire.
3. Charges and Deposits
Charges payable by the Hirer shall be set by the University and shall be advised in writing prior to finalisation of the Contract. At the discretion of the University, and where total costs exceed $1000, the Hirer may be required to pay a deposit of 10 per cent of total costs. A receipt will be issued for deposit paid.
- A booking for which a deposit has been requested but not received may be cancelled by the University at any time.
- The University has the right not to accept or to cancel a booking at any time.
- The Hirer shall notify the University of cancellation not less than 14 days prior to commencement of hire, failing which the University will impose a cancellation fee of up to 50% of the hire fee. If the cancellation is within 48 hours of the commencement of hire, the full hire fee plus any additional expenses incurred may be charged, at the University’s sole discretion.
The Hirer shall indemnify and keep indemnified the University against all losses, expenses, liabilities, claims and damages incurred as a result of, or arising out of, the hire of the premises, whether caused by an act or omission of the Hirer, its servants, agents or invitees, or any other person.
6. Public Liability Insurance Requirement
External Hirers and users of University venues must be covered by appropriate public liability insurance. The Hirer must provide evidence of a current public liability insurance policy for an amount not less than $20 million.
7. Duties of Care
The Hirer must complete the venue safety induction.
The Hirer is responsible for adherence to general occupational health and safety standards.
The Hirer must:
- ensure spillage of beverages or other liquid is immediately cleaned up and take any action required to avoid injury by slipping
- ensure adequate cleaning implements are on hand for potential hazards. Areas that cannot be cleaned immediately must be cordoned off
- leave the premises clean and tidy at the conclusion of the period of hire. The University may carry out at the Hirer’s expense such cleaning or other work as may be required to restore the premises to satisfactory condition. Excepting fair wear and tear, the Hirer shall be liable for damage to premises and/or to fittings, equipment, furniture, carpets or other property therein, which occurs during the period of hire at any time
- immediately notify University Security (telephone 6226 7600) of any damage or loss, and must also inform Campus Services in writing within 24 hours of the damage or loss occurring.
8. Distinguished Visitors
The Hirer shall give the University advance notice of the attendance of any regal, vice-regal or government representatives or any other dignitaries, to enable the University to ensure observance of appropriate protocols.
The Hirer shall not:
- issue any advance publicity of the use of the premises before receiving from the University written confirmation of the booking
- make any statement in any advertisement which directly or indirectly implies that the event for which the premises are hired is conducted by or promoted by the University
- issue any ticket, poster, advertisement, program or other literature containing the University logo unless the printer’s or other proof thereof has been approved in writing by the University
- display any poster or advertisement in any part of the premises or grounds of the University without the written approval of the University.
10. Good Order
The Hirer shall be responsible for the maintenance of good order in and around the premises during the period of hire of the premises. The Hirer shall comply with any instruction by a University security officer or any officer of the University relating to the maintenance of good order and compliance with these Terms and Conditions of Hire in and around the premises.
11. Seating and Stage Settings
- Any alteration to the normal seating or stage setting may be made only with the written consent of the University and at the Hirer’s expense.
- Before vacating the premises, the Hirer shall restore all furniture and equipment to the same location and configuration as it was at the commencement of the Hirer’s occupation of the premises; failing to do so may mean that the University carries out, at the Hirer’s expense, such work as may be required to restore the premises to a satisfactory condition.
- The Hirer will be advised in writing of venue seating capacity as required by University of Tasmania Licence to Assembly regulations.
- The Hirer shall not admit patrons to the premises in excess of the capacity of the venue(s), nor for a purpose not agreed to by the University.
12. Liquor, Food and Refreshments
- No food or beverage is permitted in University lecture theatres.
- The Hirer shall not bring, serve or sell any liquor, beverage, food or refreshment on any part of the premises unless specifically approved by the University. If liquor will be served, an Application for University Liquor Permit must be completed and attached to this contract, and University Security will be required to attend the event.
- If liquor is to be sold, the Hirer must also obtain a Tasmanian Government Liquor Licence from the Liquor and Gaming Branch of the Tasmanian Department of Treasury & Finance, in addition to the University Liquor Permit. Both the licence and the permit are to be provided to Campus Services prior to the event for notation, authorisation and office process.
- If food is to be supplied and/or sold by a non-registered food outlet the hirer is responsible for applying for a food permit from the local city as required.
The Hirer is normally expected to arrange catering with the University’s on-campus caterers. External caterers may not be used without the University’s written approval.
14. University Representatives / Security Personnel
The University may, in its absolute discretion, appoint one or more University representatives or security personnel at the Hirer’s expense to ensure the University’s interests are protected.
Any dispute between the Hirer and the University arising from, or in relation to, any hiring of the premises or from the Terms and Conditions of Hire shall be submitted to Deputy Executive Director, ISD.
The University reserves the right to relocate an event to an alternative venue if circumstances arise beyond the University’s control.
17. Streaming Services
The Hirer will obtain all relevant approvals in writing from the stream provider to ensure it is authorised to stream material at the Event. Evidence of this approval must be provided to the University prior to the event.