We know the impact that photographic and digital images can have on us, individually and collectively. When images and words come together to tell a story they can be entertaining, revelatory, breath-taking, and even powerful agents of change. In this unit, you will learn how to create a photo essay, by honing your writing skills and learning how to create, select, and edit photographic and digital images. Putting words and images together, you will identify how to use the photo essay format for professional and creative expression and evaluate how this format and the skills that you have learnt can be applied in the context of Creative Arts and Health, Education or other relevant professional fields.
|Unit name||The Photo Essay: Storytelling with image and text|
|College/School||College of Arts, Law and Education
School of Creative Arts and Media
|Coordinator||Doctor Linda Erceg|
|Available as student elective?||Yes|
|Delivered By||University of Tasmania|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2021 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2021 will be available from the 1st October 2020. Note census date cutoff is 11.59pm AEST (AEDT during October to March).
- Create, analyse and edit photographic and digital images
- Write expressive, concise and effective captions informed by critical reflective practice
- Create stories by effectively sequencing photographic and digital images with words.
- Critically evaluate creative work, integrating and applying theoretical knowledge within a relevant professional context.
|Field of Education||Commencing Student Contribution 1||Grandfathered Student Contribution 1||Approved Pathway Course Student Contribution 2||Domestic Full Fee|
- Available as a Commonwealth Supported Place
- HECS-HELP is available on this unit, depending on your eligibility3
- FEE-HELP is available on this unit, depending on your eligibility4
1 Please refer here more information on student contribution amounts.
2 Information on eligibility and Approved Pathway courses can be found here
3 Please refer here for eligibility for HECS-HELP
4 Please refer here for eligibility for FEE-HELP
Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.
|Assessment||Test or quiz (10%)|Visual diary (20%)|Essay (50%)|Essay (20%)|
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Required readings will be listed in the unit outline prior to the start of classes.
|Links||Booktopia textbook finder|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.