Skip to content

Feedback & Concerns

A concern or informal complaint is when you attempt to resolve the issue yourself, directly with the person involved (a Student Advocate can help you). Often concerns may arise through miscommunication and assumptions and can usually be resolved informally through discussion and negotiation. If your concern is directly related to your unit or course, please contact your Tutor or Unit Coordinator prior to discussing your concern with your Course Coordinator.

You are encouraged to exhaust all informal avenues prior to progressing to the formal complaints process.

A formal complaint is where you invoke Ordinance 8 - Student Complaints in your written complaint. Formal complaints are dealt with by Heads of School/Heads of section. Please see the Formal Complaints section below for additional information.

As outlined in the Student Complaints Policy (PDF 123.6 KB), the University provides an environment in which concerns and complaints are treated seriously, attended to and resolved as quickly as possible. You may lodge a formal complaint without fear of disadvantage. While you are encouraged to attempt to resolve complaints informally, if this has not been successful, you can invoke Ordinance 8 and institute a formal process.

Within the Faculty of Education, the "appropriate person" to direct your formal, written complaint to, is the Head of School. In your letter of complaint you must clearly state what your complaint is about. Include with your letter any supporting documents and keep a copy of all documentation for your own records. Ensure you Include in your letter:

  • Your student identification number;
  • Your full name;
  • Your telephone number;
  • Your current address (where correspondence should be sent to you);
  • If your complaint is about a course or unit, state the name of the course/unit;
  • The name of the campus where you are studying; and
  • You need to ask that your complaint is dealt with under Ordinance 8 - Student Complaints.

There are many mechanisms within the University to support you to resolve your complaint. These include the Tasmanian University Student Association (TUSA) Student Advocate, Harassment and Discrimination Officers, the University Counselling Service, Accessibility Services , International Student Advisers and Cross-Cultural Support Services.

If your complaint cannot be settled through the internal University procedures, you can contact the Ombudsman or the Office of the Anti- Discrimination Commissioner, for complaints involving alleged discrimination. These external bodies may be able to assist you once you have exhausted the internal avenues.

For more information on the complaints process, please visit the Raising concerns and complaints.

Course Information Officers

Student Enquiries

     13 8827 (13 UTAS)