Tasmanian dairy farmers are being recognised for their excellence in dairy business management in the 2023 Tasmanian Dairy Awards. The Awards showcase businesses who are excelling in many different aspects of dairy farm management including people, environment, safety and overall business performance.
The finalists of the 2023 ANZ Dairy Business of the Year Award are:
- Ashburton – located in Dairy Plains, owned by Aurora Dairies and managed by Francesco Fornari
- The Avenue – located in Parkham, owned by Aurora Dairies and managed by Pradeep Badavath
- Woodrising Dairies – located in Cressy, owned by Compass Tas Dairy Operations and managed by Troy Ainslie
The Dairy Business of the Year Award is conducted by the Tasmanian Institute of Agriculture (TIA) as part of the DairyHIGH2 project which is funded by Dairy Australia and TIA.
The three finalists were selected out of a group of 27 Tasmanian dairy farm businesses who provided benchmarking data for the 2021-22 financial year.
The judges for this year’s award were: Brian Lawrence, owner and manager of Janefield, which won the 2022 ANZ Tasmanian Dairy Business of the Year Award; Donna Avery, ANZ Agribusiness Manager; and Lesley Irvine, TIA.
“Each of the finalists in this year’s Awards were also finalists in the 2022 Awards. This consistent, high level of business performance is a credit to each of the businesses and the teams involved,” Lesley Irvine said.
“The judges noted the emphasis each business placed on looking after their team and cows as well as the high level of pasture management that was being achieved.”
A second dairy business award will be presented by TIA, the 2023 Fonterra Share Dairy Farmer of the Year Award.
The finalists in the 2023 Fonterra Share Dairy Farmer of the Year Award are:
- The Dela Cruz Partnership, share farming with 40 South Dairies at Mella
- Ryan and Bridget Langley, share farming with Circular Head Farms at Redpa
- Nathan and Cassidy Lawrence, share farming with Stephen and Karen Fisher at Flowerdale
- Terry and Catherine Viney, farming at Chudleigh
The two Tasmanian dairy business awards organised by TIA as part of the DairyHIGH2 project are part of a larger awards program organised by DairyTas.
Five DairyTas awards will also be presented as part of the Tasmanian Dairy Awards:
- 2023 Fonterra Dairy Employee of the Year Award
- 2023 Aurora Energy Employer of Choice Award
- 2023 Mondelez Young Dairy Farmer Encouragement Award
- 2023 NRM North Dairy Environmental Award
- 2023 Safe Farming Tasmania Dairy Farm Safety Award
There will also be the presentation of the inaugural Future of Dairy Scholarship.
The winners of the 2023 Tasmanian Dairy Awards, will be announced at the Tasmanian Dairy Awards Dinner on June 16.