Sculpture and Time-Based Media (STBM) 2A is focussed on creating Immersive Environments through studio-based creative experimentation and investigation of historical precursors, current practice and related discourse. Students will create installation artworks through experimentation with sculpture, construction, electronic and time-based media such as moving image, sound, performance, animation and projection - individually or in combination. STBM 2A will facilitate self-directed enquiry to expand your capacity to think, make, listen, reflect, and learn through imaginative investigative approaches to creative practice. Staff and technicians will support self-directed investigations. You will work alone and in collaboration with others, learn to critique and contextualise your work, and explore diverse approaches to contemporary art practice. You will apply appropriate safe work practices.
|Unit name||Sculpture & Time-Based Media 2A|
|College/School||College of Arts, Law and Education
School of Creative Arts and Media
|Coordinator||Mr Matt Warren|
|Available as an elective?||Yes|
|Delivered By||University of Tasmania|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (refer to How do I withdraw from a unit? for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2024 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2024 will be available from the 1st October 2023. Note census date cutoff is 11.59pm AEST (AEDT during October to March).
- Develop sculpture, time based media and installation skills and techniques in relation to evolving and immersive environments, with a focus on process
- Explore diverse approaches to¿sculpture, time based media and installation in relation to evolving and immersive environments, with a focus on process
- Evaluate¿your experience and outcomes in relation to the¿broader disciplines¿of¿sculpture, time based media and installation, with a focus on process
- Identify and follow WHS practices relevant to sculpture and time based media techniques, materials, equipment and workspaces.
The 2024 Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) rates are still being finalised by the Government and we will update the domestic fee information as soon as we have more details.
PrerequisitesFSF114 Sculpture and Time-Based Media 1; FSS111 Sculpture 1; FSE111 Time Based Media 1
You cannot enrol in this unit as well as the following:FSS214 and FSE214
On Campus (Hobart and Launceston)
Weekly workshop (3 hrs).
Plus an additional 7 hours engagement with unit content and self-directed learning per week
|Assessment||Task 1: Presentation (preliminary exploration in response to project brief, research folio) (20%)|Task 2: Creative project responding to a brief (30%)|Task 3: Submission of completed work/s that respond to a project brief, journal and written artist statement) (50%)|
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Required readings will be listed in the unit outline prior to the start of classes.
|Links||Booktopia textbook finder|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.